Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

FLO

Celestron StarSense for Sky-Watcher Mounts

Recommended Posts

I confess this took us by surprise! :smile: 

The hugely popular Celestron StarSense is now available for Sky-Watcher HEQ5, EQ6, AZ-EQ5, AZ-EQ6, EQ8 and AZ SynScan compatible mounts. 

StarSense enables a computerised Sky-Watcher mount to automatically align itself with the night sky.

The StarSense camera and hand control both plug into the interface box which in turn plugs into the mount's hand control port - in minutes your mount is aligned and ready to use. 

We should have a price and ETA later this month. 

 

cele_starsense_sky-watcher_94006_6.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe i will fit one on the SW GoTo Dob, i do like gadgets.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are receiving emails from people requesting a price and ETA. We really don't know at this stage but hope to have price and availability details in a week or two. 

Rest assured nobody will receive stock before us - I will camp on Celestron's warehouse doorstep if I have to! 

Steve

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if it will be possible to get the interface box by itself? If people already have a SSA system for a Celestron mount, and have a SW mount/scope as well..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not currently accepting orders (for fear it's launch will be delayed) but we have added a Notify Me When Available button to the product description.

If you click on the button our inventory system will automatically email you when it is available :smile: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you may have to stock a few hundred of these Steve :icon_biggrin:.
Seems a wonderful gadget. I'll see if the good lady will sanction the buying of one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1 March 2016 at 10:47, FLO said:

We should have a price and ETA later this month. 

The new Celestron StarSense for Sky-Watcher Mounts has been priced at £395. 

Still not sure about the ETA, we'll do our best to find out Monday. 

Enjoy the weekend :glasses9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any update on shipping date?

 

cheers

 

peterW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21 May 2016 at 15:40, PeterW said:

Any update on shipping date?

"Sometime in June" they say. 

We are checking every week and will update this thread as soon as we know more. Promise :smile: 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 May 2016 at 16:20, FLO said:

"Sometime in June" they say. 

We are checking every week and will update this thread as soon as we know more. Promise :smile: 

Unfortunately the ETA has slipped to mid-July.

Please don't shoot the messanger :unsure:

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11 June 2016 at 00:37, madjock72 said:

Thats kind of a huge price increase.

It hasn't yet been released so the price hasn't had time to increase or decrease, though Celestron's price is higher than we anticipated because aparrantlly we hadn't allowed enough for the interface gizmo (shown in the photo below). 

HTH, 

Steve

 

cele_starsense_sky-watcher_94006_6%5B1%5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well thats where the extra 130 pound increase is coming from then. That unit is it a ST4 hub?.

edit:-

3 AUX port accessories: Supports StarSense and optional GPS accessory.  Lightweight and easy to attach with the included tripod strap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madjock72 said:

Well thats where the extra 130 pound increase is coming from then. That unit is it a ST4 hub?.

We don't know for sure what the interface box is/does and probably won't until it is released around mid-July. 

You are saying you think Celestron's price, when compared to the regular original Starsense for Celestron mounts, is too high. We hear you :smile: 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But now i know why its higher with a handset and the hub/interface it explains the higher price tag Steve, i think they missed an opportunity here to add motors for an amazing GOTO system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, madjock72 said:

But now i know why its higher with a handset and the hub/interface it explains the higher price tag Steve, i think they missed an opportunity here to add motors for an amazing GOTO system. 

Wasn't the handcontroller always part of the package? I don't see how the interface itself is worth the additional £130.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lrt75914 said:

Wasn't the handcontroller always part of the package? I don't see how the interface itself is worth the additional £130.

Yes, both packages have the hand-controller. It appears it is only the interface device that separates them. 

@lrt75914, I see you live in Germany. Here in the UK the retail price for the original Celestron Starsense (for Celestron mounts) has settled at £269 (€339) which is 25% less than Celestron's recommended price. The new Starsense for Skywatcher mounts hasn't been released yet but most UK retailers are already offering it at £395 (€497) which is 17% lower than Celestron's recommended price. If, over time, pricing for the new model follows the same pattern as the current model (so settles at 25% below RRP) then it will probably retail at around £359 (€452). 

Does that help?   

Steve :smile: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how it would handle aligning against a limited patch of sky? Like only SE-S sky up to 60 deg? 3-star alignment needs way more. 1/2 stars work. And best would be not to start from park position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FLO said:

Yes, both packages have the hand-controller. It appears it is only the interface device that separates them. 

@lrt75914, I see you live in Germany. Here in the UK the retail price for the original Celestron Starsense (for Celestron mounts) has settled at £269 (€339) which is 25% less than Celestron's recommended price. The new Starsense for Skywatcher mounts hasn't been released yet but most UK retailers are already offering it at £395 (€497) which is 17% lower than Celestron's recommended price. If, over time, pricing for the new model follows the same pattern as the current model (so settles at 25% below RRP) then it will probably retail at around £359 (€452). 

Does that help?   

Steve :smile: 

Hi Steve,

I know the RRP is set by Celestron and you have limited leeway when it comes to the retail price, so I hope you don't think I was criticizing FLO for Celestron's (Synta's) pricing strategy. I have never been a costumer of yours but from what I can tell you are trying to do right by your costumers. ;) 

The actual price difference may come down to 80-100€ but that is still a lot of money for an interface that is probably relatively cheap to design and produce. Since I neither have a NIKON/Canon DSLR nor a suitable laptop for plate solving I was hoping that the StarSense could be a relatively cheap and portable alternative for my Skywatcher mount. With the price being as high as it is I might have to rethink my decision on postponing the acquisition of a DSLR, though - it might be more expensive but I could really use a new camera for daytime photography.  

Thank you for responding to my post, though :)

Cheers,

 

Patrick 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in getting one of these for use with my AZ-EQ6GT. However, I would be using it with more than one telescope and it strikes me that I would need to accurately align the camera with the image in the eyepiece each time I moved it, and this would negate some of the advantages of a quick and easy alignment. Has anyone that has the Celestron version had experience of swapping it between scopes? How easy is it? 

But I can't resist a gadget so will probably get one anyway! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to answer a question for a friend who has a Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO.

Will he need a GPS mouse as well as the StarSense if he wants full turn on and go functionality.  (He goes sailing and wants to pack the scope to use in different places.)

 

Many thanks

Andrew

Edited by AWR
spelling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2016 at 15:37, AWR said:

Trying to answer a question for a friend who has a Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO.

Will he need a GPS mouse as well as the StarSense if he wants full turn on and go functionality.  (He goes sailing and wants to pack the scope to use in different places.)

He can use a Skywatcher GPS Mouse with the Starsense but it takes only a minute to enter the date/time/location manually. Also the Starsense doesn't need ultra-precise coordinates to achieve accurate alignment, it pretty-much sorts itself out (there are only a few UK locations on the Celestron handset). 

HTH

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.