SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Winterfest 2016 at Kelling Heath

Following our successful launch of 'Winterfest' last year, I would like to thank all those that attended and hope you can all join us this year, along with hopefully many more who wish to enjoy dark crisp skies. I hope to bring a slightly different dimension to my astronomy this year, together with traditional observing. See me on pitch 301 and I will explain. A web site is being put together as I write this, and I will keep you posted when it goes online. We have been allocated the top of the red field again, so get booking and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Steve Woodfield

Chairman Birmingham Astronomical Society.

After reading my post, I realised I forgot to include the dates (:#. They are from Friday 25th to Monday 28th November, though you can probably extend that either side if you ask Kelling nicely. Don't forget you have to book with Kelling directly. Their 'phone number is 01263 588181.

See you there,

Steve W. 

Hi Steve,

Very much enjoyed last years Winterfest and hope to be at the next one.  I though the plan was to try and get the Yellow field which is somewhat more protected from the wind.

Hi there Steve, could not make last year as was my sons birthday but no plans on these dates so will be planning to join you all. 

Now to ask my friend to borrow his caravan for the weekend. 

Chris

Hi Folks,

In answer to reddos, I did try, but Kelling said that all the 'normal' campers on the yellow field at that time of year would disturb our observing. Last year we estimate that about fifty astronomers attended, we would like to at least double that this year. The website is up and running, google winterfestastro and you should find it.

Steve W. 

• 5 months later...

Ah drat - looks like I will have to miss this one as well, mainly because of lack of leave at work now....

Assuming this runs next year, I must remember to save a couple of days!! Fingers crossed for the weather for you! :)

• 2 months later...

Less than a month to go. Daz, sorry you won't be able to make it this year, but we plan to make this an annual event and are looking at dates for next year, hope to see you then. Mike and Chris, and all who are coming, I look forward to seeing you there. For those that have not yet booked, time is of the essence and you are running short of essence (Graham Hill) Don't forget, book directly with Kelling Heath.

Steve.

On 02/03/2016 at 09:27, Steveplanetsax said:

After reading my post, I realised I forgot to include the dates (:#. They are from Friday 25th to Monday 28th November

Steve - are they doing a special rate for astronomers like those negotiated for the equinox star parties? Or is it normal camping rates? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed last years event 

I'm going to have to wait until closer to the dates to book as I can't afford to lose the money on the weather being poor :-(

Hope to see some of you from last year and track down the hero who, in my absence during the day, set my scope on its side for me when the wind picked up - saved it from the fate that befell others :-)

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve et al,

Two of us expect to join you from Thursday to Sunday from knowle Astro soc. Its our first time at Astrofest.

We look forward to meeting you all.

Ian

ps if anyone fancies a game of tennis whilst we are waiting for crystal clear, cloudless, dark nights. Please bring racket and ping me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Well, we had super skies Thursday and Friday night, even if we did have to stay up till 1:30 Thursday night (or was it Friday morning?).   Though Saturday and Sunday was'nt so good. We are sorting dates for next year, at the moment it appears to be about the same weekend as this year. My apologies to brantuk for not replying to his query about special rates for the event, which were arranged. Hopefully this did'nt put you off. I would appreciate some feedback on this forum for this years event and any thoughts for next year.

clear skies,

Steve W.

Archived