SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"The New Day" centrepages Tim Peake's UK LP !

nytecam

Here's the centrepage from the first issue of a new daily newspaper "The New Day" from yesterday with Tim Peake's shot from ISS window of UK and northern France at night and the huge LP issues.  The newpaper thinks it looks "beautiful" with....

"The lights go on and Britain is awaking up to a bright New Day..... Tim sent the beautiful picture of Earth...outline of the UK covered by a veil of stars from the ISS 250 miles away"

London is centre left and Paris centre right with super overlit Belgium centred.  Perhaps you can spot your hometown or location.  From a popular and newpaper angle the pic is brilliant in every way but less so for us astronomers on the ground and it's hardly ever going to change but only get worse ;o( 

What do you make of these fab space pics?

Nytecam in SW London

tim uk lp3.jpg

Great picture,I love all the shots that Tim is capturing, though do we really need all those lights?! One thing, thank goodness I don't live in Belgium / Holland... You'd need a serious LP filter in that furnace of street lights :confused2:

Here's an enlarged crop from above pic with towns around my home marked with my dome!  Our club [Ewell AS] meets at Ranmore Common marked X above Dorking Town but I get to 'see' much more via my Lodestar camera in a few seconds exposure in live-view from home ;o)

Nytecam

tim uk lp se2.jpg

Crikey Belgium and Holland are unreal, never would of thought it. And Paris is insanely luminous as well. It kind of makes you realise that in Europe theres really nowhere you could go without seeing LP on the horizon.

2 hours ago, Scott said:

TBH Dan, I'd like to get up there but it's just a bit too far for a there and back all nighter. Bala will do me for local

its not bala scott, thats a disguise name :happy7:stoke boy knows were it is. bit of topic sorry :happy7:

It's Paris that stands out to me, looks like its about to melt its way down to the Earth's core!

Every single photon coming up from those cities is wasted energy - think how how much carbon dioxide emissions could be reduced just by using luminaires that point down.

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 17:30, Mr Spock said:

Belgium looks a bit luminous.

A decade or so ago I think there was corruption case against a government minister with links to contracts for excessive highway lighting !  The illumination levels that I've seen there are staggering - for one lamp in UK, the Belgium version has 3 or 4 lampheads per pole - and there's no going back ;o(

Nytecam

Archived