Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

loss of quality with avi

Hi . I've just started trying to do astro imaging. Im told for solar and planetary imaging i need avi video files. 

I have a sony a7s camera and it outputs to avchd when I convert that footage to Avi the loss of quality is huge , it looks terrible. 

Is there a way to convert to avi that does not involve huge quality loss or a way to put AVCHD or quicktime files into a stacking programme like register?

16 minutes ago, skydivephil said:

Hi . I've just started trying to do astro imaging. Im told for solar and planetary imaging i need avi video files. 

I have a sony a7s camera and it outputs to avchd when I convert that footage to Avi the loss of quality is huge , it looks terrible. 

Is there a way to convert to avi that does not involve huge quality loss or a way to put AVCHD or quicktime files into a stacking programme like register?

Hello and welcome SGL. What software do you use to convert the files to AVI ? The software might be compressing the AVi file during the conversion and resulting in a loss of data.

HI Cornelius, thanks for the quick response. The first thing I did was import the footage into Final Cut pro and then output to quicktime. Then I used a programme called mp4 converter. If i recall rightly that wasn't the only programme i used. Bu they showed this massive drop in quality , no surprise as the file size went from Gb to Mb. Are you aware on any programmes that do the conversion to AVI without the drop in quality or any stacking programmes that can take quicktime?

22 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Tried it, it works , it reduced the file size massively but the quality seems great , Ill go ahead and purchase that now cheers. 

Archived