SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polarex 700mm

Hi,

I took a chance today and paid up about 110 GBP (60 + 50 in shipping) for this little scope. I have no need for it, but I seem to have been bitten of some kind of bug after my Carl Zeiss bargain last month.  This purchase was also an act of mercy. The seller wanted 40 GBP for it, and was about to sell it to a guy that was going to throw the scope and use the box. 

I had to convince the seller, putting more money on the table, to make it worth the extra trip to the post office for an international package. I know the Polarex and Unitron scopes were made by the same company, and that they are nice scopes. This one seems to be very well preserved. It was handed over to the seller in 1994 by a couple who had already been holding on to it for some years. It's beeb collecting dust in a storage room instead of light :-)

Are there anything else you guys can tell me about the scope from the pictures? I'll post unwrapping and first light as soon as possible!

5867621013.jpg

5863657350.jpg

5865937178.jpg

Sorry for bumping my own thread here, but I just got some new pictures from the seller. Has anyone seen this kind of EP turret before? It does not seem to be the original "UltraHex". 
Looks like I will be expanding my  0.96" eyepiece set with this purchase! I have 25mm, 10mm and a 5mm Zeiss Orthos. I see 25, 12.5, 18 and 8 millimeters in the pcitures... 

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

Polarex was the brand name used for Unitron scopes when they were sold in Europe I think.

In the USA these are very sought after, including the accessories such as the turret and original eyepieces.

I strongly suspect you got a bargain there - the condition seems wonderful :icon_biggrin:

You might be able to find the original brochure and manual for it (if you don't have one) on this webpage:

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/

1 hour ago, fireshipjohn said:

Wow thats quite a website, the H W English catalogue bought back many memories! My first telescope can from there, and yes lots of Polarex/Unitron stuff,,

I think I still have a copy of that one somewhere !

I used to love browsing such catalogues planning optical projects :icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, John said:

Polarex was the brand name used for Unitron scopes when they were sold in Europe I think.

In the USA these are very sought after, including the accessories such as the turret and original eyepieces.

I strongly suspect you got a bargain there - the condition seems wonderful :icon_biggrin:

You might be able to find the original brochure and manual for it (if you don't have one) on this webpage:

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/

Oh! Thanks a lot for that link! 

I did some digging and found a reference to this model, called NS 133, in the 70s catalog. It was not for sale, but in the accessories section, the compatibility matrix shows that certain Eyepieces work with the NS 133.  I also found an eBay listing for a 700mm/60mm claiming to be a scope from 1968. (http://goo.gl/sd2PnU). 

I have no idea how long these were produced, or when this specific scope is from, but at least, I think I have placed the model in time. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Polarex Scope arrived today. I also think I have found out more about the model. The article at http://www.company7.com/library/unitron/notes.html says;

From the mid 1960’s to 1971 Eric Nordquist, owner of Astroniks, marketed these telescopes in Sweden trademarked SEIKO SCOPE or POLAREX. 

This scope was sent to me from Sweden and it was gifted in 1994, by older relatives, to the seller's daughter who took no special interest in it. I believe this is strong evidence to date the telescope to pre 1971.

The focuser needs some TLC. It was almost impossible to move, and after a quick de- and re-assembly the grease redistributed a little and it now works okay. It probably needs to be re-greased, but I have no idea how to. Advice, please?

Besides that, I have played with it under less than optimal skies tonight and images are super sharp. I have some Zeiss 0.96" EP's that gave super images of the half moon. I also split Castor with it and it did show the companion, with diffraction rings at the 100x + magnification I had to use. The 4 provided Polarex Eyepieces seem okay. 

The mount is a bit wobbly when used in "point and shoot" mode. The only thing supporting the tripod legs are a metal chain. No triangular tray for Eyepieces that also acts as a support. The mount "twists/gives" a bit when pointing around. The fine adjustment knobs  works great and are super smooth. 

IMG_20160315_214326.jpg.4853f30e15d8c354

IMG_20160315_211937.thumb.jpg.b2bda45a97

IMG_20160315_212136.thumb.jpg.25f07d2089

IMG_20160315_210850.thumb.jpg.8317cbd13c

Looks like I will be having some fun with this for the upcoming week; weather forecasts look great :)

IMG_20160315_211743.jpg

The link isn't working for me here. Aside from this - that looks to be the classic Unitron Turret-Eypiece Holder. They were around the late 60's and into the 70's. Not sure of the exact range, but they were highly regarded at the time. It looks to me like you did very well on your 'rescue' of this wonderful older refractor!

Congratulations! And thank you for your 'First-Light' report. Please do keep us informed - what a wonderous find!

Dave

5 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Another lovely scope you picked up there! You're gathering a nice vintage collection:icon_biggrin:

I actually decided to sell the Polarex straight away to a CN member and Polarex/Unitron collector. My intention was never to collect or buy old telescopes, it just happened :-) When the trade is complete I will be a few steps closer to my 16" dob :)     

Archived