Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Still Learning - Horsehead & Flame

wornish

Planned to take 60 x 1 min lights last night.  Used my Olympus OMD E-M5mk2 with a Nikon 80-400mm zoom set at 300mm on my Star Adventurer mount.

Lessons learnt the hard way

1. Battery in camera runs out after about 35 shots.:sad:

2. When replacing battery be sure to recheck target alignment .:sad:

3.  Lens get covered in dew after about 40mins out when temp is at or near zero.

So I just used the initial 35 shots and had to remove three due to passing plane and a satellite ! then processed in DSS and PS.

Colours seem odd and I can't get them to look right. Maybe its the built in filters in the camera.

Onwards and upwards.

Horsehead-Flame-280216.jpg

1 hour ago, The Admiral said:

That's a nice image wornish, but as for colour it looks as though everything has a red hue, stars as well. I don't use PS but I'm wondering how you colour balanced the image, and what processing did you do in DSS vs PS?

Ian

In DSS I only used 32 lights, no darks or flats.  I tried stacking using Median and also a second go with Kappa Sigma clipping.

In PS I have used  some of Annies astro actions, mainly basic stretching and then curves.  I have tried to tweak the colour balance but I seem to go backwards and end up with nearly Black and White.

Nice image. I did almost the same with my first efforts. I think you need more data. Several times what you have in that image. You will find the colours come out naturally as the data just presents it. If you push too little data you get the red hues. It will look more black and white until the extra data is present.

I am certainly no expert as still learning, I watch what others better than me have done and try to learn from them.

Best of luck. The image is certainly better than my first attempts.

Derek

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Nice image. I did almost the same with my first efforts. I think you need more data. Several times what you have in that image. You will find the colours come out naturally as the data just presents it. If you push too little data you get the red hues. It will look more black and white until the extra data is present.

I am certainly no expert as still learning, I watch what others better than me have done and try to learn from them.

Best of luck. The image is certainly better than my first attempts.

Derek

Im glad you explained why my shot was more black and white I was thinking it was the filters in my camera.  It was a good night last night and I should have retargeted after changing the battery.

This is a great thread. 

On 2/29/2016 at 11:25, wornish said:

Planned to take 60 x 1 min lights last night.  Used my Olympus OMD E-M5mk2 with a Nikon 80-400mm zoom set at 300mm on my Star Adventurer mount.

Lessons learnt the hard way

1. Battery in camera runs out after about 35 shots.:sad:

2. When replacing battery be sure to recheck target alignment .:sad:

3.  Lens get covered in dew after about 40mins out when temp is at or near zero.

So I just used the initial 35 shots and had to remove three due to passing plane and a satellite ! then processed in DSS and PS.

Colours seem odd and I can't get them to look right. Maybe its the built in filters in the camera.

Onwards and upwards.

Horsehead-Flame-280216.jpg

Thanks for the link to this

12 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

http://www.budgetastro.net/

Check out Dougs videos on YouTube he covers pretty much everthing a noob has to learn .He's a top bloke  and is very easy to follow. :)

On 1 March 2016 at 04:31, Daniel-K said:

http://www.budgetastro.net/

Check out Dougs videos on YouTube he covers pretty much everthing a noob has to learn .He's a top bloke  and is very easy to follow. :)

I watched them all yesterday and they are amazing.  I learnt so much, I have re done some of my astro pics already.

Highly recommended.  Thanks for the link.

Archived