Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter first views

Managed to get a few hours out yesterday evening.  Spent a ages trying to get my scope aligned only to find I was looking at the wrong star to align. (Doh).   But eventually managed to get the Synscan system to play ball and point at something I recognised as jupiter rose over the roof tops in the east.   How pleased was I when I could make out the bands through the eyepiece. I managed to get the this image taken with my mobile phone.  Not the greatest, but it's a start.  

image.jpeg

Congratulations on your first view of Jupiter. The photo is pretty good for a mobile phone. It looks like it was a bit misty, but this often helps you see a bit more contrast on Jupiters disk. You certainly seem to have captured some nice detail.

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Congratulations on your first view of Jupiter. The photo is pretty good for a mobile phone. It looks like it was a bit misty, but this often helps you see a bit more contrast on Jupiters disk. You certainly seem to have captured some nice detail.

The visual image was a clear as anything.  I think what's causing the effects is the  cropping from its full size image  and camera shake. As I was trying to hold it steady whilst in the right place.  Nigh on impossible.  But I managed something just the same.  

3 hours ago, Staffs Oatcake said:

Managed to get a few hours out yesterday evening.  Spent a ages trying to get my scope aligned only to find I was looking at the wrong star to align. (Doh).   But eventually managed to get the Synscan system to play ball and point at something I recognised as jupiter rose over the roof tops in the east.   How pleased was I when I could make out the bands through the eyepiece. I managed to get the this image taken with my mobile phone.  Not the greatest, but it's a start.  

image.jpeg

Hi thats a great image, the bands are visable and the moons are different colours. For a mobile id be totally chuffed with that! What scope did you use?

Adam

4 hours ago, BGazing said:

Awesome for a mobile phone, really!

How good are those little Celestron thingies that do just a basic astrophotography? I see one on clearance now at the FLO.

Yes really.  Samsung Galaxy S6.   And as for the celestron thingy I have no idea.  

4 hours ago, Adamchiv said:

Hi thats a great image, the bands are visable and the moons are different colours. For a mobile id be totally chuffed with that! What scope did you use?

Adam

Thanks for the comments.  My scope is an Orion Optics VX8. With a 1/10 mirror upgrade.  Eyepiece was a celestron one.  Can't remember whether is was the 6mm or the 15mm.  They were what was left from my old celestron scope.  

1 hour ago, Staffs Oatcake said:

Thanks for the comments.  My scope is an Orion Optics VX8. With a 1/10 mirror upgrade.  Eyepiece was a celestron one.  Can't remember whether is was the 6mm or the 15mm.  They were what was left from my old celestron scope.  

I can tell that from an observational point of view that the image of jupiter wouldve been amazing. You can see just by the photo that the bands look nice and milky and the moons look very disc like. Certainly better than my own scope, although it could be because my eyepieces need upgrading. Anyway, really enjoyable image and a good example to anyone starting out who wonders why they are not getting hubble style images that this is what you can expect, only pea sized, when all factors are good. 

A quality eye piece is on my list of things to get.   But which ones to get is a bit of a mystery.  Tempted to get a zoom one first to see which ranges suit me and them go from there.  I might get a decent barlow too.    But last night was a great chance to align my spotting scope with the main tube.  Well what better way to get a distant object centre scope in both eye pieces.    My scope was an insurance settlement after a house fire, but I put extra to the insurance monies to get this scope . I wouldn't have been able to get one otherwise. 

Good report and good photo for a cameraphone - I can imagine the visually it would be a really good image.

Some of my best memories include seeing Jupiter's moons for the first time and later seeing bands for the first time.

Good effort for a mobile. I still remember the feeling of total amazement at my first sighting of Jupiter.

It still captivates me thinking about how big it really is and how violent the atmosphere must be......

Thats a great image. I only got my first scope a couple a months ago (celstron poweseeker 127eq) i know its had some bad reviews but im finding it amazing. I have spent most of time so far viewing jupiter and have also started taking images with my mobile phone. I purchased a great little phone mount that fits onto the eyepiece. Heres my effort

IMG_20160227_122216.jpg

Archived