Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Bodkin

14 inch Darkstar dobsonian

It is a solid tube scope made in the UK by Darkstar, probably in the mid to late 1990s. It comes with a Telrad finder and I can throw in a finderscope if you prefer.  Focusser is a Skywatcher dual speed crayford. The build is that of a traditional dobsonian with a plywood rocker section which provides a solid foundation and smooth movement. The mirrors could do with re-coating, but are still quite usable.

This scope could be well described as a light bucket; the optics are not great (maybe a half wave?) and are really only suitable for low power views.  However, it is pretty good for deep sky viewing.  From my pretty good location I have seen tricky objects such as three of Stephan's Quintet, the Flame nebula, M51's arms, NGC 5053, C17 and much more.  The previous keeper to me used it for galaxy hunting and amassed an impressive catalogue of observations. 

The scope is just too big for me to use frequently and I tend to get out the ten inch instead.  However, I hope it could make a good instrument for someone else.  Obviously this is too big to post, so it is pick up from mid Wales (Llanwrtyd Wells) or Penarth.

£250 or offers/trades.

14inch darkstar.jpg

Edited by Bodkin
typo, added photo

WITHDRAWN

I tested the scope last night against my ten inch and it is really not good enough to sell as a working telescope. I will see if I can get the optics refigured, but if anyone is interested in a cheap solid dobsonian without optics I will throw in the porthole that masquerades as a mirror for free. 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Piero
      Very happy with it! Wish the sky were clear, but as we all know, when we buy astro equipment, it's cloudy! Argh!
      The telescope was collected from David Lukehurst at noon and then we travelled back to Cambridge. 
      John Nichol primary mirror: 37mm thickness, Suprax. Hilux coated. Optics 1/8 PV wavefront  1/27 wave RMS. Strehl .95. Secondary mirror: 62mm MA.
      Here a few photos:

• By Cosmic Geoff
      With reluctance I am looking to sell my 200mm aperture f5 Helios Newtonian OTA. (Helios is a brand that became incorporated into Skywatcher - this closely resembles Skywatcher OTAs)
      The Helios is offered with single speed rack & pinion focuser, tube rings, 22 to 1.25" adaptor, dovetail bar and grab handle for £90 o.n.o.  In good condition except that the dovetail bar appears to be discoloured by exposure to sunlight.
      I have not used the telescope for many months and with a persistent problem in my right arm my enthusiasm for moving heavy kit around has diminished.
      Buyer to collect from North Bucks.
      Offered as option with the OTA: EQ5 mount with RA drive + 6 volt sealed lead-acid battery +charger + standard and extra long Dec slow motion manual shafts. £150. Condition - used but working.

If I sell the OTA I will be looking to dispose of its accessories:
      9x50 Skywatcher straight finder - in excellent condition except that the small plastic dust cap is missing.
      Cheshire collimator, boxed, as new.
      Helical fine focuser, range 10mm, ID 1.25", screws into 2"adapter.
      3x Datysun Barlow, as new, boxed.
      Widefield eyepiece, 22mm f.l., 30mm body (note not 1.25")  with built in focus, works well with this telescope.
      Plastic collimation cap (no cost).
      This bundle would cost around £114 new - offered if bought with scope at £75 o.n.o.

• By floastro
      Hi guys,
      This is the first lights of my ASA 12"N f/3.62 (purchased in 2007) with my Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera using one KAF-16803 chip of 36mm x 36mm (4K x 4K).
      The adjustments, collimation, ASA OK3-Z pression screws, asked a lot of attention.
      For a precise collimation, i use the CATSEYE XL & XLKP kit.
      This is the first 3hrs of exposures taken the last weekend in one night. The second night was too windy unfortunately.

Full Resolution image in 4K x 4K here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/integration_NGC4438_DBE_3HDR_CompositeAplatie2_Spikes2-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Full Resolution Annotated image here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/NGC4438_new_image_Annotated.jpg

All the information below :

Enjoy !
      Florent ?
    • By astrosathya
      Hello Everyone,
      I have a GSO 6" f/4 Astrograph, and there's always been this issue with elongated stars on one edge. I've checked collimation and it is perfect, but for the elongation on one corner. Could someone please throw some light on what's happening

• By Greg6498
      Hello all!
      I just installed this Lacerta 1:10 Micro Transmission focuser on my 8” Skywatcher Dobsonian. It is a direct replacement for the stock focuser and works extremely well. I was surprised at how easy it was to install! Ordered it from 365Astronomy and got fast shipping.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.