Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Building the ultimate travelscope: 10" f/4 ultra ultra compact truss Dob

Roel

@Derek: The mirror is protected by a thin plywood lid, which has a bit of an "overhang" on the edges to prevent the mirror from sliding sideways. It is a snug fit between the mirror edge and the truss clamps. The lid lies directly on the mirror so the underside has a layer of soft flocking material. (The mirror surface is of course curved, so the lid actually only touches the outer edge). Everything fits very tighly together when the box is closed, so there is absolutely nothing moving or rattling inside. I can even shake it really wildly and nothing moves. Although it's designed for airline carry-on restrictions, I would have no problem with puting it inside the check-in suitcase (of course protected from hard shocks by putting some clothes around it)

In transport mode the collimation bolts are turned al the way out so the bottom of the mirror rests on the soft felt pads you see on one of the pictures - so no dangerous stresses on the glass. One has to do some pretty crazy things to damage what's inside!

lid.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So no damage to the mirror edges at all from the flocking? I was under the impression that nothing at all should touch the mirror silvered surface. I suppose it is a very difficult problem to solve.

It is a really nice build. Well executed and a pleasure to see.

Still would not advise putting into a plane cargo hold no matter what protection around it. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPloIzDa6bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6F12S6q48

Derek

Ouch! That clip hurt my eyes... That's a bit more than "heavy shaking"...
Ok, carry-on it is. :D

About things touching the mirror surface: most commercial mirror cells use rubber clips or felt lined metal of some sort to fixate the mirror. I have never seen any damage to the coating because of these clips, and the "amount of touching" is pretty much the same in my scope. (I'm talking about aluminized / quartz coated mirrors by the way, but I believe that's what you meant also with "silvered".)

16 minutes ago, Roel said:

Ouch! That clip hurt my eyes... That's a bit more than "heavy shaking"...
Ok, carry-on it is. :D

About things touching the mirror surface: most commercial mirror cells use rubber clips or felt lined metal of some sort to fixate the mirror. I have never seen any damage to the coating because of these clips, and the "amount of touching" is pretty much the same in my scope. (I'm talking about aluminized / quartz coated mirrors by the way, but I believe that's what you meant also with "silvered".)

Exactly what I meant. I am glad it all works.

Derek

Yesterday I cut all of the truss tubes in half and put M6 threaded plugs inside. A threaded rod in one of the ends, and now I have a bundle of 17" in lenght to transport instead of 34". This can easily be strapped to the side of my backpack (in which I plan to transport the whole "observatory" including telescope, eyepieces, folding seat, atlas and sketching material) .

DSC_3535.jpg

DSC_3534.jpg

I also wrapped them with heat shrink tubes. Paint tends to scratch very quickly, and heat shrink is not als cold to the touch. It adds a little bit of extra weight though, but the scopes is still perfectly balanced with the same bungee cord as before.

DSC_3532.jpg

DSC_3533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Roel thats some fine crafting, are you by any chance releasing the dimensions and a quick DIY guide on how you made this monster. I can see my kids and me trying to make this during the summer when its battering it down with rain (non stop). Anyhow was a great thread to view.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived