Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TV85 - First Dutch Light

"It's only temporary", I said, trying to sound at ease. "Just until your own mount arrives." The scope silently raised an eyebrow; with serial number 1999, it had been around too long and had crossed too many oceans to be taken for a monocle. "You're my new scope...and you're a TV85! I can't just keep you in your case until a Gibraltar mount can be delivered...I'm sure this will work fine, for the time being." The scope was clearly not convinced. "Wouldn't you like to just get some starlight inside you? It would do you good." The eyebrow dropped, ever so slightly. "Look, I know you were all set to retire on your new mount, but..." This bit of reverse psychology worked. "RETIRE?" the scope exclaimed. "Show me that 'temporary' mount, you amateur!" I complied.

"You're not going to make me wear that RACI, are you?" I explained: "I haven't gotten your Starbeam to work yet; it must need new batteries. And I'm finder-dependent." The scope sighed.

It was a cold, fairly clear night. Once out in front of the house, with a modest pile of eyepieces to work through, it was apparent that this scope knew exactly what it was doing. "That makes one of us" the scope said. I agreed. The starlight was doing us both a lot of good. The pre-loved 17mm Ethos and 41mm Panoptic eyepieces that had travelled with the scope were giving me the "space ship porthole" experience, and my new 26mm Type 5 Nagler - I had foolishly missed out on Stuart's, but had managed to find another, in near-mint condition - was a revelation.

Finally, with vital bits freezing off, I called it a night. "Wuss." said the scope. I agreed.

first_dutch_light_tv85.jpg

39 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Did you converse in Dutch or English? 

Yes, we did.

Sorry, that's feeble humour...interesting question. I wasn't really paying attention (scope, sitting in next room, agrees). Scope was born in USA, and has lived in Scotland for a prolonged period. Where else, who knows? So I suppose there must at least be a lot of Anglo-Celtic in operation. I didn't detect any distinct accent, though...

26 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Yes, we did.

Sorry, that's feeble humour...interesting question. I wasn't really paying attention (scope, sitting in next room, agrees). Scope was born in USA, and has lived in Scotland for a prolonged period. Where else, who knows? So I suppose there must at least be a lot of Anglo-Celtic in operation. I didn't detect any distinct accent, though...

An Anglo-Scottish-Dutch-US accent sounds like it might be 'interesting!' ?

Lovely scope, glad it has found a good home.

Archived