Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

inspectapart

atik infinity vs mallincam?

I know little about video astronomy but was thinking of taking a punt at one of these cameras. and wondered if anyone has tried the mallincam range. By reading there info one would believe they are the best as they state that they use the highest quality components in there manufacture.

Bob

Edited by inspectapart
misspelled word

Hi Bob,

There's been so many cams released in the last six months that my head is spinning.  The Infinity v Mallicam is difficult to address because I don't believe MC has one that directly competes with the Infinity that uses the Sony 825 sensor.  The earlier MC's are analogue and a bit expensive. The new trend is toward image head USB based cams like the Lodestar, Ultrastar and Infinity.  MC has the SkyRaider DS mono and color that competes with the Lodestars.  The SR DS is difficult to use because of the double exposure required and the inability to make image adjustments on the fly.  If you want the medium priced good quality USB cam, go with the Lodestar.  If you want a bit more resolution at the expense of speed, then the Infinity or Ultrastar is a great option.  Recently, there have been a number of CMOS sensor cams released that appear to be promising,  MC has one called the DS2.3, but I have not seen enough to comment on it's performance.  

Any more and I'll have your head spinning, too, if it isn't already.

Don

hi bob, as don say's,the last six months have seen a big investment from camera manufacturers and it can be confusing as to what camera is best,,,or I should say what camera is best suited for my needs.

Mallincam has produced some of the best analogue cameras in years and still contenders with current usb cameras,my honest opinion is that unless you are going for the likes of the exterminator ,extreme I would say yes go for it,the usb cameras in my honest opinion not up to the current cameras in usb form,lodestar has to be the safe bet for anybody getting into serious video astronomy,why,,few reasons,, lodestar live is the biggest plus ,in constant development to make it better and better with each update and not least the amount of users that can help give you advice on sgl,,, atik infinity is getting a lot of good reviews in testing I have seen and read,one prolific mallincam user is testing one just now and is well impressed.

so it may come down to price v back up ..davy

• Like 2

I know a guy who recently got an Atik Infinity. He has been using it on M-42 type camera lenses. I don't think he has put it on a telescope yet.

But the software is impressive for it. His biggest reason for it was so it can stack a picture live for demonstrating Astronomy to Boy Scouts.

Which is one of the reasons Video Astronomy is gaining momentum so well. Instant presentation, or live presentation.

I know very little about MallinCams, but saw recently where they are finally heading towards USB cameras. Which, HDMI or USB, would be very important to me as a computer Astrophotographer. (My laptop accepts either, but not RCA type connectors.)

I wish someone would release a live stacking program for CCD's, I would be very interested in that.

Jim Thompson likes MalinCams and has a current program to compare Astro-Video performance. As HiloDon says, the SkyRaider-DS is the MalinCam equivalent of the LodeStar, an excellent camera. You can take his advice, but if you have $1900 plus UK VAT the MalinCam Universe looks good with a huge chip and big sensitive pixels. I wonder if there's a cooled monochrome version :-)

Edited by Hibou

Hello Bob,

Looks like you are about to enter into the world of VA so I must warn you now, once you start there is no going back :icon_biggrin:  For me personally you are definitely looking at the right cameras.  I used to own a Mallincam Xtreme and I have to say it was one best investments I ever made.  A fantastic camera with superb customer service and support.  That said I'm also very impressed with what I have seen so far from the Infinity both live and recorded footage.  Unless something better comes up in the next couple of months my next astro purchase will be the infinity no question but if I had the money I'd have both cameras in a heartbeat!  

Best of luck with whatever you end up with and I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Best wishes

Karl

• Like 2

Rob - actual results count so check some galleries by users of various cameras ;o)

Nytecam

• Like 1

Just now, Spacedout said:

Hello Bob,

Looks like you are about to enter into the world of VA so I must warn you now, once you start there is no going back :icon_biggrin:  For me personally you are definitely looking at the right cameras.  I used to own a Mallincam Xtreme and I have to say it was one best investments I ever made.  A fantastic camera with superb customer service and support.  That said I'm also very impressed with what I have seen so far from the Infinity both live and recorded footage.  Unless something better comes up in the next couple of months my next astro purchase will be the infinity no question but if I had the money I'd have both cameras in a heartbeat!  

Best of luck with whatever you end up with and I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Best wishes

Karl

Think I would up my choice to three, lodestar and ll,infinity and finally a mallincam extreme,could not go wrong with any of these cams

12 minutes ago, shirva said:

Think I would up my choice to three, lodestar and ll,infinity and finally a mallincam extreme,could not go wrong with any of these cams

Hi Davy how do you find using the Lodestar? What way did you test the different cameras to place them in this order. Be great to see your comparisons ref hot pixels, amp glow, resolution etc.

3 hours ago, shirva said:

Davy, I'm not sure why you felt the need to correct my opinion but I have a hunch...  

Yes you could add the Lodestar and many other cameras but I was giving my personal opinion based on experience and what I prefer.  There is no doubt the Lodestar is a fine camera and some of the images I've seen are incredible (particularly from Hilodon) but for me it's a bit complicated. That is not to say the camera or software are complicated for all but it is for me sorry.  I'm sure one day I will get one and I'll take the time to learn how to use it and when I do no doubt I'll be raving about it and using it to broadcast.  However, until then my preference is the two cameras I mentioned.  I do hope that's okay with you.

The Mallincam I can talk about as I had one and it was amazing.  I have not owned an Infinity but I like it as I've seen it in action during a few live broadcasts and video recordings of it   I was extremely impressed with the views it produced and I found the software was simple to use which is perfect for me. 

It's a shame I have had to Davy but hopefully that explains my opinion of my personal choice of cameras. 

Edited by Spacedout
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Davy, I'm not sure why you felt the need to correct my opinion but I have a hunch...  

Yes you could add the Lodestar and many other cameras but I was giving my personal opinion based on experience and what I prefer.  There is no doubt the Lodestar is a fine camera and some of the images I've seen are incredible (particularly from Hilodon) but for me it's a bit complicated. That is not to say the camera or software are complicated for all but it is for me sorry.  I'm sure one day I will get one and I'll take the time to learn how to use it and when I do no doubt I'll be raving about it and using it to broadcast.  However, until then my preference is the two cameras I mentioned.  I do hope that's okay with you.

The Mallincam I can talk about as I had one and it was amazing.  I have not owned an Infinity but I like it as I've seen it in action during a few live broadcasts and video recordings of it   I was extremely impressed with the views it produced and I found the software was simple to use which is perfect for me. 

It's a shame I have had to Davy but hopefully that explains my opinion of my personal choice of cameras. 

Hi Spacedot, fully agree with you, I am new to EAA in fact relatively new to astronomy as a whole, what I have found and sometimes found quite amusing is how subjective the opinion of equipment can be, we all do our own thing what suits us as individuals while pursuing this hobby/science, I am just in the process of buying the infinity myself by the way after a few month weighing up the various options on other cameras, the infinity looks quite good plus it has been developed purely as a video imaging camera with good specs & software.

Edited by 2STAR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Hi Spacedot, fully agree with you, I am new to EAA in fact relatively new to astronomy as a whole, what I have found and sometimes found quite amusing is how subjective the opinion of equipment can be, we all do our own thing what suits us as individuals while pursuing this hobby/science, I am just in the process of buying the infinity myself by the way after a few month weighing up the various options on other cameras, the infinity looks quite good plus it has been developed purely as a video imaging camera with good specs & software.

EAA/Astronomy is a lot like the car market (especially the 2nd hand car market) - manufacturer's and users to some degree tell us how wonderful things are and how they would never be without their model etc etc (note they never tell you the bad bits and some go further - Hi VW). But here's the problem :

1. Most people's kit is different so comparing the results of  a 300mm or 16 inch xyz etc using camera zxy is a guide only - you may not get the same results  on your kit.

2. Location Location Location - plus skies - I will never get Hilodon's picture quality as I am unlikely to get the conditions he does in the UK but I will keep trying and learning !!!

3. Personal preferences - I hate BMW's - sorry I do - they are ugly to me - but millions love them. Same for scopes ,camera's,mount etc we love what we love.

4. Time - In the UK at least you don't get many nights to use your kit and learn/hone your skills so the learning curve is very steep even with the great articles more experienced people kindly post.

5. Cost - wont even bother discussing it. Saw a great camera would beat the items discussed here no problem - fast,cooled,low noise,large FOV etc etc - cost £50K :shocked:

So yes pictures using the camera do indicate the likely outputs especially when compared to other camera's on the same kit , the same night and hopefully skies. But as I have pointed out in the above you may still not like the camera. That's Just life !!!!!

Now if I could try BEFORE I buy that would be great - yes FLO,god bless em, do a 30 returns policy - I would be lucky to get 1 night in 30 days to test the item :laugh2:

NOT GETTING AT ANYONE PERSON - So if it suites you great but don't knock other peoples opinions - as the line from Oh Well (Flettwod Mac)

" I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to

Oh well "

• Like 2

Very poetic lol, i would agree with you yes, realistically i have to look at what is best for me obviously, i wont be using a f2 scope & only get to  A DARK SITE occasionally so most of my viewing is from a back yard in West Yorkshire, the majority of merchants selling tneir wares always show them off under optimal conditions and touch up with glossy pics etc, doesn't matter what you are buying ,car,tv, telescope,camera etc etc.

It's all a case of opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs as to what they want for whatever reason under whatever circumstances, i wouldn't knock anyone for that lol.

ps I rather liked Fleetwood Mac in their heyday , but like me probably past their sell by date lol.

Edited by 2STAR
  • Like 2

Hi guys,I wasn't looking to be controversial in any way ,and dont have any of these cameras but looking on many forums and looking at the images of all these cameras just like everyone else does ,I made my these my top three,not to say that there are not more cameras out there I would not want to have,,as maurice said its in the images ,what you like best,,lodestar,who wouldn't want one with the back up from paul and the great images from don,ok he has a great place to take them from,,so where is a bad place to image from..london,so maurices images covers that..atik infinity producing great images and getting great feed back,,better than lodestar ,maybe,can it be improved software wise and be updated as fast as ll,we need to wait n see..mallincam analougue the old time fave getting dated compared to these other digital cameras but still a fantastic camera,list could go on samsung,watec.nobody was getting knocked for what they have but I did mention the mallincam usb range havent lived up to the hype,and there analogue forebearers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Karl I never knocked your choices ,maybe I should have added a nice smiley face at end,there was no question of me getting at you :-)

On 01/03/2016 at 22:12, Carl Reade said:

Hi Davy how do you find using the Lodestar? What way did you test the different cameras to place them in this order. Be great to see your comparisons ref hot pixels, amp glow, resolution etc.

Maybe I should have left my signature up carl showing what equipment I have..but im shure if I look back I could find the info your looking for,nice hearing from you ,hope your keeping well :-)

18 hours ago, stash_old said:

EAA/Astronomy is a lot like the car market (especially the 2nd hand car market) - manufacturer's and users to some degree tell us how wonderful things are and how they would never be without their model etc etc (note they never tell you the bad bits and some go further - Hi VW). But here's the problem :

1. Most people's kit is different so comparing the results of  a 300mm or 16 inch xyz etc using camera zxy is a guide only - you may not get the same results  on your kit.

2. Location Location Location - plus skies - I will never get Hilodon's picture quality as I am unlikely to get the conditions he does in the UK but I will keep trying and learning !!!

3. Personal preferences - I hate BMW's - sorry I do - they are ugly to me - but millions love them. Same for scopes ,camera's,mount etc we love what we love.

4. Time - In the UK at least you don't get many nights to use your kit and learn/hone your skills so the learning curve is very steep even with the great articles more experienced people kindly post.

5. Cost - wont even bother discussing it. Saw a great camera would beat the items discussed here no problem - fast,cooled,low noise,large FOV etc etc - cost £50K :shocked:

So yes pictures using the camera do indicate the likely outputs especially when compared to other camera's on the same kit , the same night and hopefully skies. But as I have pointed out in the above you may still not like the camera. That's Just life !!!!!

Now if I could try BEFORE I buy that would be great - yes FLO,god bless em, do a 30 returns policy - I would be lucky to get 1 night in 30 days to test the item :laugh2:

NOT GETTING AT ANYONE PERSON - So if it suites you great but don't knock other peoples opinions - as the line from Oh Well (Flettwod Mac)

" I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to

Oh well "

Thats the point of forums ,to talk about what kit,cameras work best,saving somebody's hard earned cash on equipment that may not suit them ,as you say bmw may not be to your taste but how many would buy the latest model just because its new to the market.

4 hours ago, shirva said:

Thats the point of forums ,to talk about what kit,cameras work best,saving somebody's hard earned cash on equipment that may not suit them ,as you say bmw may not be to your taste but how many would buy the latest model just because its new to the market.

Totally agree "that's the point of forums" - but everyone just needs to accept everyone has their own opinion right or wrong and are entitled to their views. A forum will only work if the latter is followed else it develops into a "shouting match" .

IMHO having said that this does not stop people saying a statement is wrong as long as the support the objection with facts and just accept people may still not agree or they themselves are wrong - agree to disagree.

On the whole I find this Video Astronomy Forum is great and helps us newbies with great ideas and valid experiences. Anyway got to get back to my DIY Focuser - Clear skies :happy11:

• Like 1

I`m sorry I haven`t replied till now. But this forum has been informative, for a start it taught me that there are analogue and digital differences in the cameras, I didn`t realise that. I need something that is easy to use and I would also like to be able to use a monitor not just a computer to view with.  I`m certain that which ever camera i decide on, I will be seeing stuff that I haven`t seen before. The whole idea of seeing faint fuzzies etc on a monitor that I could never see through the scope  and share it, is really exciting and it will, i`m sure, be the start of a new adventure astro wise.

Thanks for all the info and comments !

Bob.

• Like 2

The Atik Infinity price has shot up to £959 at First Light Optics and Ian King Imaging!! Was £795 until recently, so that's an increase of £164 or 20.6%!!?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-infinity-monocolour-video-astronomy-guiding-imaging-camera.html

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_product.php?id=1612

Is £879 (down apparently from £899) at the Widescreen Centre?! That's still an a increase of £84 or 10.5%?!

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy-astroimaging-cameras/atik-astronomy-cameras/atik-infinity-mono-or-colour-ccd-camera

It's direct competitor in the market the Starlight Xpress Ultrastar is still £795?!?

It wasn't long ago that they were both the same price as when launched (£785), so what's going on with the pricing?!! Are Atik and their suppliers on a suicide mission?!?❓

Edited by memoryman

On 01/11/2016 at 10:00, memoryman said:

so what's going on with the pricing?!! Are Atik and their suppliers on a suicide mission?!?❓

No, not suicide :smile: 

Retailers purchase Atik cameras in Euros so Atik prices rise when Sterling falls (against the Euro). This applies to all UK retailers so I don't know why Widescreen's price are not more inline with ours and IKI's. Simon and Elena (Widescreen's owners) recently closed their London showroom and moved to Cambridgeshire so they have been unusually busy, it might be they simply haven't had time to check exchange rates. If it is only the Atik Infinity, then they might have one on their shelves purchased when Sterling was stronger. Or there might be another reason I am not aware of, I guess you will only know for sure if you ask them. 

Your post is a snapshot in time and currencies continue to rise/fall so someone reading your post a only week or so from now, if they click on your links, they will see different prices. 

There is more regarding pricing here

HTH, 

Steve