SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My dislike about buy and sell sites

astro mick

I'm quite picky about what I buy and I'm relatively new to this so I've not yet accumulated enough stuff to get into selling and I've only experienced these sites from a buyer perspective.

I've experienced the whole range from people who are very polite and helpful through to people who don't reply to queries about items, or reply a week later, or reply but don't answer what was asked. I've had people who take offence at offers below the asking price and people who don't reply at all to offers even at asking prices, and I've traveled long distances to check items out only for sellers to change their minds.

However the good outweigh the bad - I've received really carefully sent items with hugely over-engineered packaging, and I had one experience where it took a week of correspondence with someone in America to figure out how to pay for and post an item to me that didn't earn the seller much and was turning into a lot of hassle. The seller realised I really wanted it and helped me out instead of giving up.

But the second hand market is not about professional sellers so I take the negatives as to be expected. Overall I'm doing alright playing the long game and getting most things second hand.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the years I sold a few and bought many second hand astro items both here and on AB&S.  Most transactions have gone smoothly and/or courteously.  However, I too have a thing about people not getting back to you.  On a couple of occasions people have asked to buy an item, then been uncommunicative, and then, when pushed, asked if I can wait until they get paid.  I'm sorry, but if you haven't got the cash in your hand/bank account, then don't make an offer without telling the seller about your situation at the time of the initial contact.

The problem being discussed seems to be down to lack of courteous communication, and impatience (we live in a 'I want it all and I want it now' world).

Additionally, I can't see why adverts can be created without a picture. Perhaps that should be made a rule on here (maybe it already is?) and I think it's definitely needed on ABS.

Having said that,  I've not had a problem either buying or selling any second hand gear - and apart from my binoculars,  it's all second hand. 

23 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

One instance sticks in memory, where one chap started asking for the serial numbers off the CCDs i had up for grabs (didnt really like what that was implying) - and then offered to pay via bankers draft..... erm.... bye! (ended up selling it on SGL instead, quick, no fuss, as it should be).

A banker's draft is basically a cheque that cannot be bounced, as the buyer has to give the money to the bank before it is issued. It's actually one of the safest ways to receive money as you can't get palmed off with forged notes. or have paypal clawback etc.

Back in the day it was just about the only way to buy a car of any value.

I suspect your buyer was just a very cautious person!

I hate being messed about as it's happened to me before & even after plenty of messaging & even paying a deposit on items which thankfully got refunded, but generally speaking I haven't had to much problems selling & buying stuff online.
Although eBay on the other hand I've stopped selling on there many many Moons ago.

Archived