SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

To Dome or To Roll?

PhotoGav

I do not have an observatory as yet, but have run alarm cable in the past through blue water pipe. it is cheap and very water proof (obviously). Mostly it is very tough and easily laid in the ground. There are no joints as it is available in long lengths. As long as the ends are in a protected environment there is no need to seal with cable glands just a plug of Soudal Fixall or similar sealant (not silicon, just preference!). You can easily lay in 4 or 5 as it is handy to have spare capacity. They can be laid well separated to reduce any interference problems.

Derek

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The Topic Poster says the obsy is for imaging, which if done remotely, could be a simple 'box' to expose the scope/mount with suitable anti-dewing equipment installed. 

I also image exclusively but in very brief exposures displayed to monitor as an alternative to using an eyepiece - results go much much deeper and in colour but like eyeballing I like to be adjacent to the scope within my cosy lightweight DIY dome!

DIY domes are consistently described on this forum as "expensive and difficult to build" which is nonsense on both counts.  A dome gives complete protection for scope [and user!] from wind and dew.  The RoR gives little or no such protection. The dome downside is reduced sky view but one can always step outside!   I've built 6 domes down the years for club, others and self but never a RoR - check my dome build link below.   

I'd recommend the octagonal design used by mate Ron Johnson - all the panels including the opening shutter are rectangular with only the 4 'corner' panels shaped - this greatly simplifies construction but still gives an elegant dome profile.

Nytecam

Archived