Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun Dog!!

niallk

Saw my first ever 'sun dog' this morning on the way to work! Unfortunately driving on a motorway and couldn't take a pic. Have only read & seen pics before ... very cool indeed to see with your own eyes :)

It was a very strongly noticeable phenomenon - only on one side of the sun - there was a real divide visible in the high/light hazy cloud pattern on either side of the sun.

Simply chuffed to see it ;)

A few years ago I saw a very spectacular one in the late afternoon whilst driving west on the A14. Very distracting when you need to focus on the road.

There's some interesting stereo pictures of a sundog on Dr. Brian May's on-line blog going back a few years.  Take a look at:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssboct10a.html

SR    

Good catch!  They're really impressive phenomena.  I captured this one on the A14 in Suffolk last year (must be the place to see them!).  It was just as strong on both sides but alas my phone didn't have the field of view to capture them both...

56cf0440cfe45_a14sundog.thumb.JPG.e2d98c

I only saw my first about 3 years ago sitting out the back garden. Didn't know what it was but it was very pretty. After that, having not seen one before, I saw about 2 others within a few months. As you say, they are enthralling. I was driving home one evening on the Mallow road, and kept leaning forward to look at it, not very safe...

Sometimes, they're better viewed through sunglasses. First link isn't a sundog but very beautiful, never saw one since.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188723-sun-dog-evening-rainbow/

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187799-sun-dogs-like-buses/

I'm just pleased as punch to see the Sun after so many months of dreary wet weather,
However, I can appreciate the splendour and bonus of the Dogs too.
You mustn't get too distracted whilst driving, it only takes a moment for danger to strike.
Two ladies were killed yesterday, a little Boy 3, and a grandad 71 seriously injured. 
The four in a KIA Picanto, in collision with a Ford Transit.

Apologies for detracting from the topic, but it serves as a reminder how easy disaster can 
come from a moment of distraction, especially on M/Ways.

8 hours ago, hes not well again said:

I was reading a Patrick O'brian book from Napoleonic times and the same thing was described as a wind gall, they believed it heralded bad weather. Always a safe prediction in Britain.

Yep, precipitation usually follow within 12-18 hrs after these optical phenomena, as they precede the incoming Atlantic weather

Archived