SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ5GT first light and...go to issue

Kirien

Hi all, finally iv got some good weather in Poland. I went out with the AZ EQ5GT, i set up the timezone +1 for POland, latitude and longtitude, daylight saving - YES since i believe we still have it in that winter time. I have levelled the mount and a tripod, ive connected all the staff, i then polar alligned with polarscope and began the star alignment...I was really disappointed how far from the first target the mount slew...i had to keep RA with slew speed *9 pressed for couple of second until i got the first start in FOV...i centered it. Then it moved to second star which was definiatelly on the same meridian flip and it was off again!!! ... Auxiliary encoders were switched off... When i was then slewing to messier objects the mount was showing them absolutely not in the centre FOV but lets say - they were there but not centered... The HC soft is 4.37 so the newest...i have no idea whats going on and im thinking about returning the mount or at least sending it for guarantee....any suggestions?

edit: i have entered wrong daylight saving - it should be no... but this parameter is changing the goto only by one hour and during one hour the star would move by around 15 degrees and the error while goto was bigger. Also after first start alignment, no mater if Daylight is ok or not - the second one should be much better - am i right?

it just needs a bit of practice get the alignments sorted, if the encoders are turned off then when it selects the first Star let it slew then just undo the clutches and move it manually, the second star requires the handset to slew, when you center a Star use a High Power EP this makes it more accurate. Just give it a bit of time and practice it will all come together.......

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2016 at 18:02, Kirien said:

Hi all, finally iv got some good weather in Poland. I went out with the AZ EQ5GT, i set up the timezone +1 for POland, latitude and longtitude, daylight saving - YES since i believe we still have it in that winter time. I have levelled the mount and a tripod, ive connected all the staff, i then polar alligned with polarscope and began the star alignment...I was really disappointed how far from the first target the mount slew...i had to keep RA with slew speed *9 pressed for couple of second until i got the first start in FOV...i centered it. Then it moved to second star which was definiatelly on the same meridian flip and it was off again!!! what a piece of &*% i thought.... Auxiliary encoders were switched off... When i was then slewing to messier objects the mount was showing them absolutely not in the centre FOV but lets say - they were there but not centered... The HC soft is 4.37 so the newest...i have no idea whats going on and im thinking about returning the mount or at least sending it for guarantee....any suggestions?

edit: i have entered wrong daylight saving - it should be no... but this parameter is changing the goto only by one hour and during one hour the star would move by around 15 degrees and the error while goto was bigger. Also after first start alignment, no mater if Daylight is ok or not - the second one should be much better - am i right?

Did you get your problems figured out? 

I have the same problem with mine. I set up the mount according to the manual with the telescope facing polaris. Then I selected the brightest star in the southern hemisphere. The hand control told me to slew to planet Jupiter since it was the brightest spot. Next I choose Polaris and the mount starts slewing and is completely off. After stopping it actually points the telescope downwards towards the ground, but it looks to be in the right direction. Tried it over and over again with different stars but when slewing to polaris I always get the same downwards result. Any suggestions?

I just noticed I've installed the wrong firmware in my hand control. I've installed the latest firmware for the AllView hand control and not the SynScan v4 controller, could explain a thing or two :-)

I'm not sure if the old AZEQ6 problem which some encounter persists with the 5 or not, but worth trying this:

- set up

- polar align

- put the scope in the home position and lock the clutches

- turn the mount off and on again

- it will remember all the previous setting except the time, re-enter the time

- don't bother re-checking the polar alignment as you;'ve already polar aligned

- don't move the scope

- comment with a star alignment, 2 star or 3 star whatever you fancy

- the first star is often off by a few degrees (worse if you didn't start in the home position)

- only move the scope to centre on the first star using the handset, don't release the clutches

- if the second star is off, you are doing soemthing wrong

Good luck.

James

Archived