Polaris Transit

Hi, Everytime you set up your scope etc you need to polar align using the current time and polar position. With computor controlled mounts its easy as I have one but if you need to know the current polar position all you need to do is download a free app on your phone or ipad. This will show you a picture of where the polar star is in the transit circle at the current time. Hope that helps. Jay

Hi Jay, Thats right but in order to calibrate the polarscope you have to set a date and time for when  polaris is at its highest point for your location. I'm a little unclear about how long these calibrations last and what the best transit to pick is. Is it better to choose a transit that is several months in the future, or is a transit that has just passed OK for a while.

I'm in the middle of sorting out AstroEq for my EQ5 mount at which point I'll probably use Alignmaster. Until then I'll be using an RA Motor and polarscope. :)

Archived