SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideal mount(s) for a TV85 - Part 2

iPeace

...and the scope arrived, safe and sound, here on the continent, below sea level but safe, home and dry. As it sat in all its magnificence on our dining room table, I went about the serious business of a mount, for I had not sorted this yet, in spite of all your advice and wisdom. The scope raised an eyebrow: "No mount, huh?" (it is American, after all). I raised both of mine in apology and got to work.

It took hours...reading reviews, hitting the web sites of manufacturers and suppliers, trying to piece together the perfect solution. Somehow, I couldn't get all the pieces to fit together: a nice Berlebach tripod, a Giro Ercole head and suitable counterweight. The scope was still wearing its lovingly retrofitted ADM Losmandy-style dovetail plate, and I was determined to leave it there (although memory fails as to why...). How could I know which dovetail clamp would fit both the Ercole, and the dovetail, and not drop it at an awkward moment... I wouldn't mind shelling out for a "premium" Losmandy-style clamp, but nowhere could I find whether any of those clamps had mounting holes with a spacing that would actually match that of the Ercole's...to speak nothing of where I would eventually find mounting screws to use (you'd think online suppliers would sell suitable screws by the bagful...).

And all this time, I was troubled by the prospect of the scope hanging by a clamp off the side of my chosen mount. And all this time, the scope was silent.

There was no way this was supposed to be this difficult.

"It's not." said the scope.

Ten minutes later, I had ordered a new TeleVue Gibraltar mount with walnut-legged tripod and matching eyepiece caddy set. The scope smiled; this new owner would do very well indeed.

P.S. I will show photo's of the mounted scope as soon as the mount is delivered. I don't want to distress the scope by taking pictures of it as it sits on the table; the last time that happened, it was sold, after all...

Many thanks to Stuart, who kindly passed this TV85 on to me and made sure it was safely delivered.

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

...and the scope arrived, safe and sound, here on the continent, below sea level but safe, home and dry. ...................

P.S. I will show photo's of the mounted scope as soon as the mount is delivered. I don't want to distress the scope by taking pictures of it as it sits on the table; the last time that happened, it was sold, after all...  ....................

I like your sense of humour.  :biggrin:

36 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Sounds good. I often mount my APM 80mm F/6 triplet on a mini-giro, affixed to a hardwood tripod I built some time back. Works very nicely.

post-5655-0-69098300-1431891803_thumb.jp

That should be able to hold the TV85 as well, but the Gibraltar will certainly carry it with style and panache

THAT is BEAUTIFUL

Archived