Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

80mm ED are they the same

Doug64

Hi,

I'm brand new to SGL so Hello.

I am just getting into Astronomy but have been a keen photographer for many years and would like to get into AP.  I have read 'making the photons count' and have decided to initially start off with an 80mm ED.  I am looking to get either a HEQ5 Pro or HEQ 6 Pro to go with the 80mm ED so that I can then add a larger scope as and when I get more experienced.  I will also be using a modded DSLR to start with and will also look to use an autoguide system with PHD or similar program to run it.

I have seen a number of 80mm ED telescopes for sale and was wondering  if they are all the same or is there one that you would recommend.

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

Ascension 80mm EDT APO Triplet

Opticstar ED80S Gold

TS ED 80mm f/7 refractor telescope

Some appear to have ED FPL-51 glass element and others have a mix including FPL -53 glass which I understand from my research is better.

I have also seen this one Altair Lightwave 72/432 ED-R refractor  which appears to get good reviews.

I would appreciate your advice with choosing the correct 80mm ED Telescope.

Thanks

Doug

It sounds like you're off to an educated start. 

The Skywatcher 80ED (with reducer)  is a very popular starting scope so is easy to sell on if you decide to change and for that reason would be my choice from the EDs.

That triplet does look like a lot of scope for the money and "should" offer superior color correction but I know nothing about it, I'm sure someone with first hand experience will be able to give an opinion. 

30 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

I'm brand new to SGL so Hello.

I am just getting into Astronomy but have been a keen photographer for many years and would like to get into AP.  I have read 'making the photons count' and have decided to initially start off with an 80mm ED.  I am looking to get either a HEQ5 Pro or HEQ 6 Pro to go with the 80mm ED so that I can then add a larger scope as and when I get more experienced.  I will also be using a modded DSLR to start with and will also look to use an autoguide system with PHD or similar program to run it.

I have seen a number of 80mm ED telescopes for sale and was wondering  if they are all the same or is there one that you would recommend.

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

Ascension 80mm EDT APO Triplet

Opticstar ED80S Gold

TS ED 80mm f/7 refractor telescope

Some appear to have ED FPL-51 glass element and others have a mix including FPL -53 glass which I understand from my research is better.

I have also seen this one Altair Lightwave 72/432 ED-R refractor  which appears to get good reviews.

I would appreciate your advice with choosing the correct 80mm ED Telescope.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug

Welcome to the dark side! It can be very difficult choosing an 80mm scope - as you've seen there are lots of variations out there... I settled on the TS photoline F6 triplet APO which is a bit more expensive but has good colour correction. You also have to budget for a field flattener which can be a reducing one. I use my F6 with a non-reducing flattener but F7 scopes would be a bit slow without a reducer for some targets. Deciding on what sort of targets you want to image is a good idea. You can use a FOV calculator to help gauge how a particular dso will fit on your camera/scope/reducer combo.

Louise

Hi Doug

I have the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED which I'm very happy with - have a look at my gallery to see the types of images you can expect.  If you do go with this scope then I'd also recommend purchasing the associated Skywatcher x0.85 field flattener/reducer. 

I cannot comment on the other scopes mentioned but I think for the price, the SW 80ED offers very good quality optics. From an imaging perspective, I'd say that the main weakness of the scope is the focuser, however, you can upgrade this at a later point if you perceive this to be an issue.  Overall, I'd recommend it. 

Alan

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, I would like to image DSO's but looking to take baby steps so I learn with a smaller easier to use system which will hopefully produce results before I venture into trying larger scopes such as Newtonian's etc.

I have already decided that I will purchase a focal reducer for the 80mm.

I am looking to buy the best tripod / mount that I can as I will be able to keep this as I hopefully upgrade as I get more experienced to use larger / faster scopes.  If I get a descent 80mm then I may be able to use this some day as a guide scope for larger telescope but it will also be good as a go-to system when I just want to set it up quickly at my local club etc to do some visual observations.

I will look into the recommended scopes a little more before making the purchase.

Doug

A sensible decision!

Start with the SW80ED, then move on to faster (and therefore more "difficult") telescopes when you have mastered that one. You could go for the Altair triplet, but with the reducer its going to be over 1k. Both have FPL53, which in my experience - gives much better colour correction than FPL51.

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

A sensible decision!

Start with the SW80ED, then move on to faster (and therefore more "difficult") telescopes when you have mastered that one. You could go for the Altair triplet, but with the reducer its going to be over 1k. Both have FPL53, which in my experience - gives much better colour correction than FPL51.

Thanks Rob,

I'll take on board what you say about cost, I can put my money to other things if I go with the SW80ED.

Doug

Is the SW80ED really that good a bargain?  I know the SW100ED is 900mm/f9 compared to 600mm/f6.37

but the 80ED is £445+£159 for the flattener, compared to £629 for the 100ED which includes the flattener AND 56% more glass....

Archived