Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What’s your favourite lunar feature?

Fozzie

Hi All

Whilst watching the GRS transit last night, I kept on frequenting, for some stunning views, our nearest neighbour which got me thinking what’s my favourite feature or local area..? So im opening this out to the forum as I start to tick of the first lunar 100 and then move on to the 101 -200 list.

So to kick it off ....

I genuinely enjoy watching the area of Mare Humorum develop in to light, from Gassendi round to Vitello and the rupes liebig.. lots of features here over a number of nights (if you ever get a run at it!)

So whats yours?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across Petavius last night, really stood out to me... another crater full of features..

external image normal_Rimae_Petavius_LO-IV-184H_LTVT.JPG

I managed to see down to Petavius A last night about 3.9m in width (just to the right of the "III") Hullova view in the bino's..

Many of my favourites have already been mentioned but I'd like to add that fascinating pair of craters in the Mare Fecunditatis, Messier and Messier A. They may well look great tonight as it happens :icon_biggrin:

37 minutes ago, goodricke1 said:

My favourite feature is that part of its orbit which takes it out of the blumming way :D

Ah balderdash Sir!  :evil6:

you know if you give it a try you just might like it! :wink2:

it's dynamic and engaging, doesn't care about light pollution and can be a challenge in it's own right... even for imagers..

I used to think it an annoyance too, but actually, for town observing when maybe you can't get out to dark sky's to track down those fuzzies then whats to loose... certainly don't want to be caught inside watching what the good lady likes on the telly! (and let me tell you she watches a lot of "deleted word" if you know what I mean)

Ta

Fozzie

Hi ,Ermmm being obsessed by the moon for the past 8 years hard to say ,I never had a fav crater let's say because there's so many and it's so hard,I like certain phases of the moon I some times like craters when the suns rising over them, and when setting in to craters 

keep looking up 

Pat

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So many! Top 3 perhaps Messier + A and ray, always eye-catching; Mersenius (neighbour of Gassendi) because I never thought I'd actually identify the domed floor, but it happened; and Reiner + gamma because of one theory on what caused it, namely the great big whack that created Tsiolkovsky crater at its antipode on the far side. Thump! (Btw, the Mare Marginis swirls and Mare Orientale are also opposite each other)

That's easy, its the Alpine Valley and its environs. Or, more accurately, its the fine rills  that criss cross the region that take me on a journey night after night. You can find one crossing the width of the valley floor about half way along its length. It position is easily found as there's a dark nick in the northern wall at the point where the rill exits the valley and winds its way north through the mountains towards Frigoris. On its journey it joins to other even finer rills, eventually connecting with a deep rill on the southern shore of Frigoris. As the sun rises or sets over the region the complexity of the rill system is revealed. The central rill on the valley floor is usually seen as a broken white line in a good, small scope, but on nights of exceptional seeing it almost looks complete along its length in the 4". The fine rill that crosses the width of the valley does so in a zigzag pattern, and exits the valley southward towards Imbrium, where it too joins to a deeper rill that travels the shore of the Imbrium basin.

Mike ?

Archived