Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with a moon filter

lionclaw

I was trying out my new 10mm eyepiece and 13% moon filter, looking at the moon first. It's a full moon tonight so not much contrast. After that I removed the filter and viewed Jupiter. I had only seen it once before with the 25mm that came with the scope (10" dob). I was amazed at the detail I could make out. Saw 3 bands and 3 moons. as it was low in the horizon it was a bit shimmery but not too bad. After that I took a few photos of the moon with filter attached, then wondered what Jupiter would look with the filter. It was a little to the left of the moon so didn't have to move it much. After I got it in view I realised I could see more detail. 4 bands were visible now and a forth moon, almost touching the edge of the planet. I would definitely recommend trying this yourself, 13% moon filter with 10mm ep. Anything lower would probably be too dark, but you have to experiment as I don't have anything below 10mm yet. 

A blue tint helps.

I bought a blue/purple tinted moon filter from amazon - it was weak as water for the moon, but great for Jupiter.

The blue tint tends to bring out the brown bands, and darken the red spot for better contrast.

It works really well on the 8" Dob, along with a single polarised filter to dim the view.

If I need to stop down the brightness even more, there is the option of fitting a second polarised filter, or replacing the end cap onto the tube, minus the 2" inspection hatch (or whatever it is called)

I have tried the no filter method to avoid the many layers of glass - but always end up with retina burn.

I've tried most of the filter types that are reputed to help with planetary observing including Tele Vue's Bandmate Planetary filter and the Baader Neodymium but still find that the "no filter" approach works best for me with my scopes from 4" to 12" in aperture.

Some of the filters I've used do modestly enhance the contrast of the more obvious Jovian features such as the cloud belts and the GRS but when I've been trying to pick out the more subtle plumes, festoons, small white spots etc I've found the same filters actually hamper the views of those. As I can see the stronger contrast stuff fairly easily anyway I prefer not to make the more challenging features even more challenging !

Just the way I like to do things though and I can fully appreaciate that others enjoy different approaches to planetary observing :icon_biggrin:

Totally agree there John. Filters change the glorious colours and contrasts. Sometimes it's worth trying reducing aperture or using a proper telescope ( achromatic refractor !). Sitting comfortably and doing a simple sketch also relaxes your eye enabling more detail to enjoy,

Nick.

Archived