Narrowband

Another Synscan question

Well after many years of wanting a motorised mount I've bitten the bullet and purchased an NEQ6 from flo. After an initial problem with a duff synscan handset out of the box (rapidly sorted by flo I might add!, top service ) I'm now at the stage of playing with it in the living room before venturing outside. However, I seem to be falling at the first hurdle in that I cannot figure out how to enter a minus number for my longitude... Help! 

I'm sure I'm just being stupid but cannot figure it out and there is nothing in the handset manual. 

Thanks 

Ed 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah right, I'm using an android app called synscaninit which does a GPS lock on your location and displays all the info needed to initialize the handset, it just said - 1° 19' W so I assumed that's exactly what I need to enter, is that not the case then? 

41 minutes ago, edarter said:

Ah right, I'm using an android app called synscaninit which does a GPS lock on your location and displays all the info needed to initialize the handset, it just said - 1° 19' W so I assumed that's exactly what I need to enter, is that not the case then? 

The numbers you need to enter are 001 19 W

Hello,

As "developer" of Synscaninit.apk I am interrested in having feedback to improve this app.

I just coded this app first for personnal usage and I never have the opportunity to test it in a west meridian location.

Could confirm that it is not necessary to enter minus sign when you are at a west meridian?

If it is the case I can modify the code to avoid showing minus number.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached snapshot of a test with minus numbersynscanminus.thumb.PNG.ae587ed8e6720fa57

Just saying "West" or "W" is enough without a minus sign. Saying West implies a negative bearing from the meridian. I always thought bearings were positive numbers - coordinates however can be plus or minus numbers and don't require ordinal designation. :)

Thank you Brantuk for your answer. I well understand the principle.

My concern was only to get the confirmation while initializing a synscan with W meridian, if the minus is physically necessary or not.

If not required I will modify the code with absolute value to give exactly the figures requested.

Have a nice sky.

• 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 11:59, monaghan said:

Hello,

As "developer" of Synscaninit.apk I am interrested in having feedback to improve this app.

I just coded this app first for personnal usage and I never have the opportunity to test it in a west meridian location.

Could confirm that it is not necessary to enter minus sign when you are at a west meridian?

If it is the case I can modify the code to avoid showing minus number.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached snapshot of a test with minus numbersynscanminus.PNG

Just loaded the app and muust say it's a good one! 

only issue I found with it last night though was that my position is    N56 01.526'  W002 37.821'.

Now the Long isn't a issue however the app came up as my Lat to be entered into the unit as   N56 1.   Now the unit requiers 4 figures so I feel alot of people might enter 56 10 as opposed to 56 01  if they did not know there position wich would make it inaccurate.

Liike I say noot a major isue but something you might want to look into!

thanks again for the app!

On 1 April 2016 at 12:26, popeye85 said:

Just loaded the app and muust say it's a good one! 

only issue I found with it last night though was that my position is    N56 01.526'  W002 37.821'.

Now the Long isn't a issue however the app came up as my Lat to be entered into the unit as   N56 1.   Now the unit requiers 4 figures so I feel alot of people might enter 56 10 as opposed to 56 01  if they did not know there position wich would make it inaccurate.

Liike I say noot a major isue but something you might want to look into!

thanks again for the app!

Is this app available on Apple? Can't seem to find it.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your advice and nice comments. Even if 1 is not 10, I understand your concern. As you are the second people to ask for this improvement, next version will be modified to avoid any misunderstanding.

Concerning Apple's devices, unfortunately I do not have Mac...

On 01/04/2016 at 12:26, popeye85 said:

my position is    N56 01.526'  W002 37.821'.

the app came up as my Lat to be entered into the unit as   N56 1. 

Hi all,

I dont mean to nitpick nor be pedantic, but just in case :- the 56 01.526' being adjusted to 56 1' looks like it has been truncated instead of being rounded ( .526 being just over .5 should get rounded up to 2' not down to 1' ). In this case it probably makes no difference as the error is so small. But if the Lat had been, for example, 56 01.999' if this gets truncated also to 56 1' then there is an error of almost 1' ( it should be rounded up to become 56 2' )

Now not having one of these fancy computer mounts I dont know how accurate the Lon & Lat need to be entered ! but I see lots of talk on the forum about how GoTo often nearly misses soooo ?? !

As I said, not being pedantic, just mentioning  :). If it is not a concern or if I am talking through my hat then please excuse and ignor me :)

Mathematicaly speaking definitely right SilverAstro...but we are saved by the fact that 1minute in longitude generate only a variation of 4 secondes on the Hour Angle. Simply done by the ratio 360° in 24 Hours.  I am pretty sure that you will agree with me that being truncated instead of rounded is not significant. But thanks again for your remarks. Every comment helps my to improve this tool.

Yes sure, no worries, as long as it wasnt just an overlooked gremlin lurking to bite later :)

Mind you, only 4seconds at higher power is not insignificant and another way of looking at it is that it is 1 minute of arc, so 1/30 dia of the moon ;) and it is going to be used several times by the software not only to calculate the offset from the ref. time meridian but ofsets from the center of the earth ie. the center of the celestial sphere so cumulation etc&etc which was interesting to think about over my cup of tea but started to give me a headache lol! OTOH if it was that critical I suppose the software would want a decimal point in it as well so OK ! I yield ;)

I'll leave it with you, ,and I am trying to resist the temptation to suggest that one of the lads could be volunteered to deliberatly offset his coords to see what odds it makes, but I am sure they have better things to do when the clouds go away :)

keep up the good work:hello2:

Archived