Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
baggywrinkle

The New Cosmos - David J Eicher: CUP

The New Cosmos - David J Eicher: CUP ISBN 978-1-107-06885-8

I picked this book up at the Cambridge Univ Press book shop in Cambridge just before Christmas intending to read it over the holiday period. That did not happen.

David Eicher writes for the Astronomy magazine in the US and this rather nice hardback tome is a series of 17 articles on the latest science with regards to many astronomical topics.

It starts with an intro 'The awakening of astronomy' and then proceeds outwards from Earth, 'How the Sun will die', End of Life on earth', How the Moon formed' It covers both planetary and deep space.

Excellent articles on the latest science of the Milky Way, how big is the Universe and then onto Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Black Holes.

Each chapter is stand alone and the book can be picked up and put down, the chapters cover a short history of the subject and then introduce the latest science and thinking.. There are some beautiful illustrations and photos.

There is just about something for everyone and I would give it a 9/10.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Slingshot
      Hi - I'm a new member of this great forum and a complete beginner. I would be grateful for ideas or suggestions if you have time please. 
      Last night at around 2230hrs i was laying on my back garden in the moist grass gazing up at the night sky. Clear skies North and South but cloudy in the East, Patchy West. No telescope, just my mug of tea and a blanket. I have always known where North is since a young lad. Find the Plough, top and last star of the saucepan and follow in a straight line for 6 thumbs and there is the North star. Great. Then, as i looked at it with my new eyes as a new budding novice, it suddenly dawned on me.
      Like most of us on this planet we all look at our night sky, think how beautiful it is, be humbled, thankful, in awe, spiritual, emotional and so on, then go about our business. But not now! Now I am looking up with deranged eyes and mind, thinking i have not a clue about any of this wonderous sight before me. I have no names, no vocabulary, no maps, no idea of where to start and no plan at all. So far i have been looking at equipment needed to get started, which in itself was overwhelming, but made a choice and picked out my telescope. And indeed some members here, have kindly said i made a decent choice to start with.......
      As it got gradually darker (and colder) the stars got brighter. So i picked out a line from the middle of the Plough and followed if by about 13 thumbs (sorry for the boyhood terms) and found a big bright star and below that, by half a thumb, a collection of faint stars which i could see better by averting my gaze. It dawned on me again. I cant be doing this all night without any clue of technical knowledge. Bewildered, I stood up and looked toward the South West and saw what i know to be Jupiter and i think Saturn (fainter). This again brought it home just how little i know and just how much learning is needed just to get going.
      I went inside and on my PC ( i dont have an i -phone or android tablet ) and found Stellarium. Looked at the online sample, stuck in my location and upcame a northerly view of what i had been looking at. I found the names to my delight and ran outside to try and match up what i had seen. But it took at least 10 minutes before my eyes got used to the dark again. Then identified said bright star as Arcturas and below that faint collection as Gaia. ( i think ) Cocker hoop, i ran back inside and looked again at the PC for more names. This went on for about an hour or so. I felt elated at finding the star called Dubhe which was my boyhood top of saucepan star and on to Polaris. Back to Ursa major across again to Arcturas and below that Gaia, carefully usig my thumb to get the right measure. I couldn't see capalla coz of cloud to the east.
      Back inside I thought just how do other people do this. 
      Hence this message. I need to work out a plan, what are the right maps, is Stellarium good start or something similar. What hard copy maps and best beginners books? Is it a good idea to pick up a small bit of sky, and work outwards from that, then when comfortable, move on to other directions. Or do I pick out known objects, like the Moon and other near planets and go from there. Or do I do a bit of everything bit by bit.? 
      What is the best way of logging my progress? And many more questions..... Sorry for length of this topic matter, if I have made mistakes with names and if the questions asked are basic.
      I would be grateful for your thoughts and advice - thanks a million.
      Garry
    • By Ruud
      Hi
      This video was published on YouTube in March of this year and describes the development of universe in exponentially growing steps through time. That probably means that it is highly speculative, but it is interesting.
      I'm about halfway through at 7 billion trillion trillion trillion years in the future, and quite curious about how it will end.

• By Yash4astronomy
      Hey Everyone. I believe almost everyone of us would be aware about the Bootes Void. If not then I'll explain. Bootes Void is a point in universe of massive volume and almost completely empty space. It's about 750 million light years from us and stretches for about a billion of light years. It definitely is huge but is also just that empty because such large space only contains about sixty galaxies.
      Now what's special about this place is that it is more mysterious than black holes, even more than primordial black holes. So there definitely are many possibilities and hypothesis, like expansion caused by alien species or merger of two voids. But I've a different speculation, based on my hypothesis, this void is probably the center of expansion of our universe. What if big bang actually took place there?!!! It probably may have....
      What makes me think so is that the void is not empty at all, it probably is full of more dark matter in many parts of the universe and also a centre of Dark energy in universe which makes it expand like that.
      I guess almost everyone of us would be knowing of comparison of our universe' expansion with inflation (not the inflation in the beginning of expansion of our universe) of a balloon, then, yes it's true that if we mark any point  on the balloon then it would look like it's expanding in every direction and the same is happening with our universe, wherever we observe, we find anything around it to going away from themselves, but we also know that a balloon has the centre of expansion from which we blows in it,  similarly universe is also supposed to have an actual point of  expansion and it probably is the bootes void! 
      It is or not?
      Thank you.
      -Yash Tomar

• By Yash4astronomy
      I've just joined the forums. I came here because I wanted to interact with the people with whom I have something in common, make friends and share knowledge with all of them and learn from them. I hope it could work out well, I have also planned to publish a paper that I am preparing on dark matter that is supposed to be completed 6 months later, I'm currently 15 years and have no good friends of me, so I came here.
    • By MikeODay
      Back in March I was granted an observatory code ( Q69 ) by the Minor Planet Center ( MPC ) and since then I have been spending all my available telescope time ( which due the weather has admittedly not been very much  ) to capturing images of asteroids, that the MPC is interested in recieving data for, and sending in the positions that I have determined.
      Mostly I have been focused on asteroids that have not been observed/reported on during their current return to visibility.
      2014 LA21 was my first after getting my code ...

Here I was the first to report astrometry for 2014 LA21 since 2016 - not like discovering a new comet I imagine but still, a small achievement and  a nice feeling
      You may have noticed that I don't as yet supply any brightness data; this is because I have not figured out how I can do this reliably ( most of the asteroids I am chasing are very dim and so my 4 minute exposures tend to spread them a little making them hard to compare to nearby stars ).
      I have been getting reasonably good position data though, with a "variation to average path" across the samples of sub 1 arcsec ( typically less than 0.5 and sometimes down as low 0.15 )
      Anyway, I was just thought I would let people know what I have been up to and why you have not seem me latley over on deep sky imaging forum and also, I was wondering if there is anyone else here on Stargazerslounge doing the same thing ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.