Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD Advice (Filters)

cardconvict

The main difference is that the 2 inch filter will cover a larger sensor but the cost of them is also higher.

FLO do a bundle that includes a 1.25" filterwheel so I'd say its a safe bet to assume they can take 1.25" filters

The Sony chips are fine with the 1.25 filters. If you go up, size wise, to the 8300 Kodak then they will also be fine if your camera has a built in filterwheel keeping filters close to chip, as in the QSI. Baader do a 36mm (1.42 inch) option really aimed directly at this popular chip for cameras which would vignette because the filters would be too far from the chip. Maybe worth considering? But, then again, we are probably going to see a chip revolution in the next few years and my guess is that big chips will be 'in.'

There is no advantage in having filters larger than you need and, in conjugal terms, some considerable disadvantages spring to mind...

Olly

Just now, ollypenrice said:

The Sony chips are fine with the 1.25 filters. If you go up, size wise, to the 8300 Kodak then they will also be fine if your camera has a built in filterwheel keeping filters close to chip, as in the QSI. Baader do a 36mm (1.42 inch) option really aimed directly at this popular chip for cameras which would vignette because the filters would be too far from the chip. Maybe worth considering? But, then again, we are probably going to see a chip revolution in the next few years and my guess is that big chips will be 'in.'

There is no advantage in having filters larger than you need and, in conjugal terms, some considerable disadvantages spring to mind...

Olly

i saw a program the other day forgot what is was called but it went into about how how exotic chips are becoming more popular.  so when people like you want to upgrade your already big chips, it should leave people like me with a small chip to make a nice upgrade :D   

Just now, Daniel-K said:

i saw a program the other day forgot what is was called but it went into about how how exotic chips are becoming more popular.  so when people like you want to upgrade your already big chips, it should leave people like me with a small chip to make a nice upgrade :D   

Possibly. My prices are always more than reasonable! My guess is that we'll start by having more pixels on the existing full frame format and CMOS technology making them cheaper. Both fine by me. The big worry for me is Will they be monochrome?

Olly

Small point but large cost difference. 2" filters are roughly twice the price of 1.25" filters, BUT the 2" also take up a lot of room in a wheel. That usually means bigger wheel and maximum  of 5 filters. The QSI 5/683 cameras can take a wheel with 8 filters as they are 1.25 inch/31mm compatible. Cheaper to populate and smaller.

Downside is if you change your camera you may need to change to larger filters so loose money in the long run.

There is a new QHY CCD coming out , it is under test now. It will need 2" filters and will have a 27x 21.6mm chip. It will be the biggest chip that can be used with many scopes I believe. One that comes to mind is the FSQ85ED at 44mm imaging circle. Not sure about the WO 132. 

I have not mentioned the full frame as it is not a common CCD chip,  if there is one. (36x36mm is available I think).

Derek

Archived