SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Rosette's Bok Globules in Bi-Colour at 1.9m FL

theo

This image was taken during the last clear night on the 15th Feb. The Moon was around but with imaging time being quite precious of late I thought it was worth the effort to try. These Bok Globules do make a great long focal length target and are fascinating to look at. I think I could do with more subs on this but I've pressed on and processed what I have with the option to get more photons at a later stage (preferably without the Moon!!) and carry out another processing . Total exposure time is only around 4hrs but all of the Ha & OIII subs are binned helping to alleviate the lack of time. The usual gear used is shown at the base of the image. Thanks for looking.

Pete

Bok Globules.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, gorann said:

Fantastic, I agree with everyone above, who wouldn't. A Hubble class image. I just wonder what mount you keep that 12" SCT on and exposure times.

Thank you. I used 800s exposures for the Ha and 600s for the OIII all binned 2x2. The OTA is mounted on the original fork and is able to do 1200s exposures without any problems so I have no plans to change it as I love the fact I can track fully east to west. It's carefully drift aligned and balanced but that's it really.

8 hours ago, Fay said:

really superb, cant believe your scope is still on the forks!!!!!

Fay

Many thanks Fay. Quite a few people are surprised I still use the fork mounting, but as the old saying goes 'if it ain't broke'. Honestly though it's amazing it does as well as is does...I'm sure I could do half hour subs but as of now I tend to keep it to 800 or 1200 sec exposures. The OTA is fantastic and this I would never part with even if one day I did go for another mounting.

Pete

I have an 8" and have taken it off the forks, but as I  dont have an obsy, I cant get motivated to get it all going for imaging.  I would have to keep getting it all out and putting away, every time, but looking at your results makes my cogs whirl into action.......................

Fay

I really like absolutely everything about that image. It is simply first class on all counts.

I'm also impressed by your success with the LX200 mount. I got nowhere with mine but we do see images from people getting them to deliver. (Martin at one time, RobH, Anna Morris...) Going right across the meridian must be bliss!

Olly

Archived