SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RC6 balance issue solved

Daniel-K

last week when i was setting up for the first time it soon came apparent that i would struggle with balance in the dec. i battled on and ran my first light unbalanced and manged 16 subs on M81. 

i think this played havoc with my guiding as it was all over the place.

over the past week ive been looking for solutions to solve this problem but it all cost money which is a little tight after spending on getting this rig together.  

so last night in work while setting the tools i came across this magnet which has a 25KG pulling weight seriously strong. i was going to use it to attach something to the scope. digging a little deeper at work and with a little help from a maintenance guy, i came up with this. 

we threaded the back of the magnet   and drilled through these solid steal circles so a m10  rod could be accepted. they way roughly 1KG each.  the weights can be screwed up and down the rod to help with balance. and now the magnet serves as a back up encase i need to add a little more weight.

i went out this morning and bought a tap & die kit. i have never used one of these before but it was easy enough to tap the dovetail.

here we have it my homemade counter weight system :) saved me a few pennies.

Danny

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

Archived