Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another one with synscan issues!

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Perhaps try the handset reboot another member just did on thiers though might want to check they had a v4 too.

Yes I saw that on another post and reckon that might be my next move however I need to check that it won't invalidate the warranty! will also see I there is anyone nearby who has a similar setup to see if they can help narrow  down where the trouble lies.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...so 2 stars that are almost impossible to mistake!"

The most likely error here is a human one unfortunately, but nothing to be proud about, we've all done these things.

If it is slewing to the wrong place in the sky, then it either has a mechanical fault or is slipping as per my previous comment, else when undertaking the setup and then alignment process you are somehow giving it duff information. 

Have you tried starting the whole process from the alt-az "home" position, which is different from the EQ home position, and I'm not even sure it is called the home position. But anyway, have the scope parallel to the ground so it is pointing at the horizon, so zero degrees in elevation, and have the scope pointing due north, so zero degrees in azimuth (image attached from Google). Once you've got the scope in that position, reboot the handset, and start your set up from that position; ie. input all your day, time, location, etc, and then do a two star alignment starting from that position.

You can do this in the day time inside the house, just to test things, input the time as the time it would be at night when you would be setting up outside, say 20:30, and then do your star alignment moving the scope to roughly where you think your two alignment stars should be, and then test to see where it slews subsequently for Betelgeuse. If it is still 90 degrees out you'll know, otherwise you'll have an idea if it is ball-park correct or not.

James

NexStar4RefPosition.jpg

19 hours ago, popeye85 said:

Yes definitely the correct star-tried both sirius and then betelgeuse  -so 2 stars that are almost impossible to mistake! 

Sirius and Betelgeuse are quite close to each other in the sky so don't make an ideal pair of alignment stars.  Try two stars that are about 30 degrees each side of the meridian and at about the same elevation.

4 hours ago, jambouk said:

"...so 2 stars that are almost impossible to mistake!"

The most likely error here is a human one unfortunately, but nothing to be proud about, we've all done these things.

If it is slewing to the wrong place in the sky, then it either has a mechanical fault or is slipping as per my previous comment, else when undertaking the setup and then alignment process you are somehow giving it duff information. 

Have you tried starting the whole process from the alt-az "home" position, which is different from the EQ home position, and I'm not even sure it is called the home position. But anyway, have the scope parallel to the ground so it is pointing at the horizon, so zero degrees in elevation, and have the scope pointing due north, so zero degrees in azimuth (image attached from Google). Once you've got the scope in that position, reboot the handset, and start your set up from that position; ie. input all your day, time, location, etc, and then do a two star alignment starting from that position.

You can do this in the day time inside the house, just to test things, input the time as the time it would be at night when you would be setting up outside, say 20:30, and then do your star alignment moving the scope to roughly where you think your two alignment stars should be, and then test to see where it slews subsequently for Betelgeuse. If it is still 90 degrees out you'll know, otherwise you'll have an idea if it is ball-park correct or not.

James

NexStar4RefPosition.jpg

The Skywatcher AZ Goto mounts don't need to be level and North before alignment. The first alignment star, wherever that may be, is the "home" position for the alignment.

Peter, I know the manual doesn't mention this, but it has been written about before, and for some reason adopting this method when I initially had that mount and was encountering similar issues, whether directly or not, helped me to resolve the issue. But I also made numerous other changes including tightening the nuts on both axes (as mentioned earlier) and updating the handset firmware, getting a better power supply, and taking more time to estimate how to balance the set up. I think there is little harm in undertaking this procedure once to see if it helps or not, and as I suggested, could easily be done (in less than 10 minutes) indoors iduring lday light hours as long as you know roughly where two alignment stars would be and where a third target should be to test to GOTO.

James

The requirement for level and North was dropped from the AZ firmware some time ago and isn't needed for the Star Discovery. The current method doesn't require the mount to be level and North before alignment because the alignment only starts after the first star has been manually aligned. Before this alignment the mount doesn't need to know its orientation, it gets this from the first star. The manual for the Star Discovery 150 actually states that the mount doesn't require any initial starting point, just to make sure that the tripod is set up on a level surface. If you use the AZ-Goto mount as an autotracker, without using the goto, you do need to start the mount in the level and North position.

Hi popeye I too have the same system as you I think skywatchers 150p with goto it's brand new running v4 software .I had nothing but problems with mine for at least a week I got some advice from here and also the place where I purchased it .Now regarding the robot I did it doesn't and wouldn't invalidate your warranty why would it ?? They wouldn't have put it in the Handset otherwise that would be a bit unfair I think .All it does is resets factory settings so would erase any mistake your making .

If you go into menu scroll through and your see factory settings press enter then 1 it will reset it for you .

now I have read online about something built into the handset where due to something I'm not to sure about your handset splits your sky into sections and degrees something to do with a value and if your out by a few degrees you can tell your handset to make adjustments in degrees this makes your handset adjust for this .Im not saying that's your problem depends how far out you are .

After the reset of your handset post your postcode on here get someone to double check your coordinates and your data then try again I was getting really frustrated but mines working great now .From being someone who has never owned a telescope before it's worth the perseverance I stayed up last night to get Saturn in my scop it was great fun going back out tonight .

if there's anything else I can help you with just ask popeye

HI trade. Cheers for that-in going to terry and do a factory reset and firmware update tonight and see what that does-will also align it up before I start-worth a go!  Most people's opinion seems to be that it is a power issue so will plug it into the mains and see what that does!  Slowly scratching away at it so hopefully will get there soon! 

If your GOTO alignments are 90 degrees off, I really would advocate doing tests in the day, as you don't need to see the stars to know if it way off or not. These things are so much easier to investigate in daylight rahter than in the freezing cold outside in the pitch black :)

I think if it is reliably 90 degrees off each time, then it is unlikely down to a pure power issue.

I do hope you get it solved soon.

James

Archived