Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Surrey

geoflewis

Hi everyone,

I've been a sporadic guest viewer here for sometime, so thought that it was about time that I registered. I first became interested in astronomy as a 7 year old growing up in north Norfolk well over 50 years ago (really dark skies then as almost no street lights), but career, family, etc., never allowed me to pursue it much. Took early retirement 4 years ago, bought a pre-owned 10" LX200GPS the following week (added quite a few things since then ;-) ) and got into AP. Currently living in light polluted Surrey/Hants border, but hoping to move back to Norfolk for darker skies in the near future, plus somewhere to build an obs - already purchases some gear for that... ;-). Well that's me, looking forward to chatting with you all over the coming months and years.

Cheers,

Geof

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Steve,

The avatar pic is from the Mount John Obs on the south island NZ. I spent a night there with one of the resident astrophotogaphers - that's his RC that he let me use. The dark skies there were amazing. I also got to use the 16" LX200 in one of their domes for some visual - a totally stunning experience... ;-). I have to go back some day....

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcomes and apologies for my tardiness in thanking you all. I've been busy learning how to shoot solar white light with my 4" APO, which is really challenging though all the cloud we've been getting here the past 'for ever' it seems.... Had some reasonable results though, so definitely something to do on crisp sunny winter days. I'll be glad when I can get my obs built to better take advantage of those gaps when they do come along though... ;-)

Sun_20160223_1226ut_gdbl.jpg

Archived