Narrowband

Canon IS ---Which Set ?

Pig

I am very interested in buying a set of these binoculars but I am not sure which set to get.

The 12 x 36 appear to be the best value yet they do not seem to be the preferred choice !!!!  Is this because of the jerky action and lack of crispness at the edges ?

The 10 x 42 are so expensive compared to the 15 x 50 for some reason, is it just me or is this extra cost because of the " we can get away with it" syndrome.

I have read Gary Seronik's review and he states the 10 x 30 were his preferred set and most used, Can any one second this ?

My main requirements are for astro and to have a set that are not over heavy ( I don't want to use a support). Luckily I also live within walking distance to a bird nature reserve so this will also be a factor going forward.

I can afford any in the IS range but I don't want to pay over the odds just because of popularity (IE 10 x 42)

:happy6:

Dave you would think something like lens covers would be such an easy and cheap niggle to correct :happy8: I am starting to edge toward the 12 x 36,  I am just trying to find a comparison between the mark 2 & 3 version.

Edited by Pig

Don't laugh, I'm still using an old pair of Prinzlux 10X50s :eek: that belonged to my dad.

Been thinking on a new pair but other shiny new stuff keeps taking my money :)

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Thank you young Gerry, I used a pair at our local dark site about 12 months ago, I was very impressed with the views, and they have been at the back of my mind fore some time. I was also toying with the idea of another refractor but I thought these would make a nice alternative :happy8:

• Like 1

Congrats on the new bino's! I've personally own a Canon 15x50 but for general use I perfer my 8x42 Vortex Vipers as the Canon's are quite heavy and bulky. I believe quite a few people on the Cloudynights forum prefer the 12x36 as it's similar to the 10x30 but gives you that extra reach! I had a look at the 10x42 but the price compared to the 15x50 Canon was just too much and also I like having the higher mag for astronomy. Look forward to hearing how you get on with them!

Oli

• Like 1

Cheers Oli....I will let you know how I get on with them.... I thought hard about the 10x42 but the price put me off.  I was having difficulty choosing between the 15x50 and the 12x36 :happy6:  I am sure they are both very good but the weight was the scale tipper for me... Ha Ha :laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Sounds good Shaun, dangerous browsing around stuff when it's cloudy, saps the will power :)
Look forward to first light report.

Dave

LoL yes ......the clouds have more than just obstructing our views to answer for :laugh:

I'm sure you'll love them. I have the 10x42's and think they're a mini marvel. The moon floating through the view is something to behold. Stunning. My only disappointment so far is Jupiter appears to be a little too bright for them and I get a little flaring irrespective of focus. It's moons are pin points as are stars but Jupiter itself is largely a white ball.

• Like 1

Seiko, I have managed quite s few sessions now both during the day and also at night, the views are fantastic and the image stability is nothing short of a game changer :icon_cyclops_ani:The night sky coverage and the colours of stars is nothing short of breath taking. To be honest I was not expecting the view of Jupiter to be anything more than a bright disc accompanied by its moons because of  the magnification delivered by the binoculars in comparison to my scopes. However, the moon is fantastic along with clusters etc........ Definitely a winning purchase and a great addition to my kit.

• Like 2

Great to hear you like them! I agree about the image stability being a game changer. I really enjoy switching it on and then slowly panning the night sky, it makes me feel like I'm flying through space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oli said:

Great to hear you like them! I agree about the image stability being a game changer. I really enjoy switching it on and then slowly panning the night sky, it makes me feel like I'm flying through space.

Oli, I have had five or six good sessions under my belt to date and so far I am very impressed :happy7: I know what you mean about the flying

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I have the 12x36IS bins and they are really good. Great for birdwatching and better than you'd think for astro.

Michael, I was pleasantly surprised with their astro performance and once I got to grips with holding them in the optimum position the IS performed excellently. I am also fortunate enough to live very close to a bird reserve (luckily the feathered variety :happy6:) and I spent most of Saturday watching a buzzard and quite a few other species, the suns rays catching the water ripples as the Coots surfaced from their foray was also pretty spectacular:happy7: Watching aeroplanes is also quite relaxing and the IS is pretty much perfect for tracking them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had 

10x30 - I sold them very fast becuase were to dark for me 

12x36 - quite nice binocular a huge step forward , good for nature , birds etc.

15x50 - I was in love with them untill  found nice pair of  18x50

18x50 - spite I sold them a well, it was wrong decision! IS system worked best! DS were very nice and bright I prefered them instead of Fuji 16x70. It was realy great tool for traveling they never dissapoint me. Very small CA , very sharp views! And best binocular for spotting airplanes!

Btw I am looking for some bargain to buy them again.

Rgds,

Waldi

Edited by waldi