Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To whom do you owe most, and why?

iPeace

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Gina said:

Excuse my "higgorance" - but who is Stella Artios?  I've heard of Stella Artois lager but not Stella Artios :D

Sadly the Mistress Stella has as much of an effect on spelling as on self control...

On the evening in question, she was definitely Artios! And most definitely "reassuringly expensive"  :happy11:

Paul & Stella

When we bought a house with a great wide view, one of his colleagues said to my husband that he should buy a telescope. Maybe that person had daytime viewing in mind. When my husband mentioned it to me, I realized that telescopes were affordable for normal people and that a telescope could give a great tribute to my general interest in the universe.

Since then, I have been reading as much as I could on the internet on what telescope to buy and what you can see. I have also received a great lot of help on many astrosubjects on the Dutch astroforum.nl and read even more astro-related stuff.

Without the for me unknown colleague and without my husband mentioning the telescope, I wouldn't have owned a telescope today.

Who or what started my original interest in the universe is completely unclear to me. I remember having written a paper on the solar system in primary school. Probably found interesting books on the subject in the library. I have my parent to thank for taking me there regularly.

I loved Sir Patrick Moore - lovely man :)  I think the new young lady on S@N is very good though - with lots of great enthusiasm and amazing knowledge and expert presentation :)  Of course, I have SGL members to thank for great advice in my learning process and also a great community that also discusses more personal matters and has provided wonderful support to me in a number of issues  :)  Thank you again everyone :)

If we are also talking about what got you hooked in the first place, then it's looking up at the stars at night and a very old and battered encyclopedia my parents had.  After that it was Patrick Moore who  inspired me.

Coming out of a pub in the wee hours and stumbling back to a B'n'B in deepest darkest West Cork, no lights for miles - except for a mind blowing night sky with the Milky Way blazing at zenith.

When our first child came along, I petty much had no time during the day ... So I thought back to that night in West Cork, and started Googling telescopes. This was how I came across SGL, and started reading every thread I could find on recommendatios for a beginner's scope - and learned about these 'dob' thingamajigs.  After much dithering, took the plunge several years ago and ordered a 250px: best money I've spent I reckon :) Thanks to the people here on this wonderfully helpful forum who patiently and freely give sound advice time and time again!

So, I suppose it's Arthur Guinness I have to thank ;)

1 hour ago, niallk said:

Coming out of a pub in the wee hours and stumbling back to a B'n'B in deepest darkest West Cork, no lights for miles - except for a mind blowing night sky with the Milky Way blazing at zenith.

So, I suppose it's Arthur Guinness I have to thank ;)

Ah,a man after my own heart!

I really enjoyed your posting,Niallk.

Archived