Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To whom do you owe most, and why?

iPeace

A 1960's copy of the Beano that showed Dennis the Menace flying through space on a home made rocket.

The first moon landing.

StaTrek.

Patrick Moore.

Leslie Peltiers starlight Nights

Three great observing buddies, particularly paul astro.

My wife who's tolerated my endless insanity.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting question yet I have no answer.

Discovering astronomy was a very personal (I won't use the word "lonely") journey for me. I had little contact with other stargazers as a boy. And as a troubled introvert I took comfort from the solitude and thinking time it afforded me.

There were books and although I learned everything from them I had no favorite author. I actually tended to steer away from SPM's titles and The Sky At Night was on well after I'd gone to bed. Rarely ever saw it.

So is it too weird to answers "me" in reply to the OP?

15 hours ago, MAN or ASTROMAN said:

'...... I'm also indebted to H.A. REY, his book 'The Stars,a new way to see them' was the first 'proper' Astronomy book that I read (aged ten),and it taught me to recognise the Constellations.'

HA Rey's book was also the one that enabled me to start identifying constellations some 50+ years ago. It was still in print just a few years ago, (maybe still is) so I purchased my teenage granddaughter a copy when she started to get interested in astronomy - her mum said ask grandad....!!. Now in my 60s she was a significant factor in getting me back active in astronomy and we've  had a lot of fun stargazing together the last few years.... I hope those memories stay with her long after I've gone... ;-).

I have learned lots from being a member of this site. There are a few who require special mention:

• John for his absolutely endless knowledge of eyepieces;
  • Moonshane and Stu for teaching me how to spend endless amounts of money;
  • Chris Lock's wife for telling him to sell his Skylight 60mm F16.7 :grin:

I looked through a cheap Charles Frank Junior refractor in 1961/1962 and that got me going. Bought a Japanese 60mm frac with my first pay cheque and then had the buzz of the Apollo Moon Landings. I left the hobby for many years but bought a Celestron Nexstar 5" SCT in 1999.

I must admit that I owe most to SGL with so much information, advice and opinions since 2008. Attending the SGL star parties since SGL4 has added to the knowledge and viewing individual objects beyond the reach of my home telescopes.

Dear Mum, for pointing out various constellations to me when I was about 6.  Never did find out where she got her knowledge from.

The author of a book called The Universe, circa early 1970s.  Physics on a gargantuan scale!

And course, SGL - the crash course for a hungry mind!

Doug.

Revisiting the question, I suppose if I had any particular inspiration the book (which I have mentioned before), Children of the Universe by Hoimar Von Ditfurth stopped me dead in my tracks and opened up a whole new line of thinking. It's probably no great book by modern standards but it introduced some concepts that made me thirsty for more.

It wasn't even an astronomy book really.

On 2/20/2016 at 22:23, andrew s said:

Dark rural skies when I was young - Andrew s

I so agree with this. Just gazing at a very dark sky, as a kid, was all that was needed to fire the imagination and kickstart a desire to know all about it.

Certainly the irrepressible and captivating Sir Patrick, poured petrol on the flames once a month.

My grandfather introduced me to astronomy at a very early age.  Then in 1951 I went (with my parents) to the South Bank Exibition in London and was very impressed by the displays of the planets.  I read lots of Science Fiction books and I was also interested in science generally.  I watched pretty much every episode of The Sky at Night right form the very first episode and everything similar on TV.

At the age of about 8 - a book. I used my birthday book tokens to buy a book about the planets after my mother pointing out Venus.

At the age of 40 - Stella Artios. Without her wise counsel, I would never have had the courage to bid so enthusiastically on a scope on eBay. Turned out to be a great buy.

Paul

26 minutes ago, MAN or ASTROMAN said:

Alcohol and E-Bay auctions- a dangerous combination!!!

But, in this case, fortuitous!

It was SGL threads that pointed towards the right scope and have guided my Astro wanderings ever since. 

A special mention has to go to Nick (Cotterless) & Mr Messier whose observing lists have shown me the breadth of what is up there.

Paul

4 hours ago, Paul73 said:

At the age of 40 - Stella Artios. Without her wise counsel, I would never have had the courage to bid so enthusiastically on a scope on eBay.

I hate to break this to you Paul but Stella gets around a bit. I seem to remember her telling me to buy a Tele Vue Pronto one evening whilst we were browsing ABS UK - luckily, I also ended up with a keeper, but I do remember waking up the following morning wondering what I had done! :eek:

Archived