740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Ideal mount(s) for a TV85

iPeace

If - IF, purely academically speaking - it were to happen that I - quite coincidentally - adopted a fellow SGL member's much-loved TV85, I suppose I would soon feel the need to position it at a fixed distance from our planet, at least during viewing sessions. I'm thinking in terms of:

* Alt-Az, either with slo-mo or so good you don't miss it

* Grab-and-Go (car boot, no need for more portable than that, but short set-up time)

and / or

* More sturdiness, perhaps at the price of some luggability 

So no permanent pillars, big EQ mounts, GOTO or any of that good stuff.

Thoughts?

Easy, Mini Ercole on an EQ6 tripod. Simples.

I used to have a very similar, and equally lovely TV85 and used it on a Giro-WR mount very happily. The Mini Ercole wasn't available then but I think it looks great, probably needs a counterweight for smooth action but it's nice and portable. I used a home made pillar extension with the WR, but I think the Mini Ercole has a bit more height so you should avoid tripod clashes.

I hope you get the scope, you will love it. I would buy one back in a flash.

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Easy, Mini Ercole on an EQ6 tripod. Simples.

I used to have a very similar, and equally lovely TV85 and used it on a Giro-WR mount very happily. The Mini Ercole wasn't available then but I think it looks great, probably needs a counterweight for smooth action but it's nice and portable.

I hope you get the scope, you will love it. I would buy one back in a flash.

Actually, the deed is done :icon_biggrin:

So, no counterweight necessary with a Giro-WR?

5 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Actually, the deed is done :icon_biggrin:

So, no counterweight necessary with a Giro-WR?

I think it will be better with a counterweight. You will manage without if you need to be ultra portable, but the movement will be smoother with one. 

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Instumente-bis-9-kg.html

Note that the mounts are very capable, the stability really depends upon the tripod. I went through many tripods before ending up with the EQ6 2" stainless steel one, very rigid. I use a Gitzo for portable/travel use abroad, excellent but still not quite as stable as the EQ6.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Over here in the US, the AZ4 is offered by Orion-USA under the name - VersaGo II. I have one and use it for my Skywatcher 150mm F/12 Maksutov. It handles this rather close-to-the-maximum scope with ease. Very smooth and precise movement as it should be.

I'll 2nd. the recommendation as an altazimuth-mount. The Giro Ercole Mini also looks very good. But I've yet to try one.

Happy hunting!

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont

All great suggestions (keep them coming!). Is there a "slo-mo divide" amongst refractor / AZ users? At the moment, I'm using a Manfrotto 405 geared camera head, and am glad for the slo-mo control it offers...but perhaps only because there's no way a mount like this will give me smooth enough control to do without. Having no experience with big "light buckets" on dob mounts, I keep thinking: if those users are happy to work / slew around that way, surely there must be something to be said for it and surely the same experience should be available to a refractor user, given a quality mount? Or is it more of a personal preference thing?

It's definitely a personal preference thing. I have had a Vixen Porta mount in the past, but always found the slo mo controls awkward to reach and not intuitive to use, so I found myself naturally grabbing the scope and moving it. I've since migrated to giro type mounts which suit me fine, but would not suit someone who prefers not to touch the scope. They are both valid viewpoints.

To me, I think they make more sense on an undriven EQ where you only have to adjust one to keep the target in view. Having to adjust both was just too much for my co-ordination to cope with ??

EDIT One question to ask slo mo users. Do you constantly adjust to keep the target centred, or adopt an 'adjust and let drift' approach, which is what I do (similar to dob users)?

9 minutes ago, iPeace said:

All great suggestions (keep them coming!). Is there a "slo-mo divide" amongst refractor / AZ users? At the moment, I'm using a Manfrotto 405 geared camera head, and am glad for the slo-mo control it offers...but perhaps only because there's no way a mount like this will give me smooth enough control to do without. Having no experience with big "light buckets" on dob mounts, I keep thinking: if those users are happy to work / slew around that way, surely there must be something to be said for it and surely the same experience should be available to a refractor user, given a quality mount? Or is it more of a personal preference thing?

If it's well balanced and silky smooth, you wont need slow motion controls as you can just nudge the scope to follow what youre looking at

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

One question to ask slo mo users. Do you constantly adjust to keep the target centred, or adopt an 'adjust and let drift' approach, which is what I do (similar to dob users)?

I learned REAL fast to take up position so that the target drifts diagonally through the image, not immediately intuitive of course, because it's mirrored, and different depending on whether the target is "rising" in the East or "setting" in the West (with me facing South, natch). Watching the target "drift" is also teaching me (or so I think) a lot about how to really observe stuff. Plus...it gives more time for the vibrations caused by moving the scope to stop before the target moves out of picture (possibly only a symptom with unstable mounts?).

Edited by iPeace
clarification

I also adjust and let drift. For the porta 2 I replaced the small fixed slo-mo controls with longer flexible controls which are much easier to use imo. I bought the official vixen ones which cost about £35 for the pair

Edited by Gavster
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rossco72 said:

Here's your new 85 on a Televue Gibralter mount I used to own, it was well balanced and smooth and even had a push to computer to boot!

However these mounts are pretty expensive these days if you can find one.

Img_0925.jpg

IMG_0927.JPG

Wow. (Gazes silently at screen with smile on face.)

So would you move the scope around by holding the diagonal between thumb and forefinger, or some such procedure? And could you get all the way up to the azimuth?

Edited by iPeace
additional question

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I think it will be better with a counterweight. You will manage without if you need to be ultra portable, but the movement will be smoother with one. 

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Instumente-bis-9-kg.html

Note that the mounts are very capable, the stability really depends upon the tripod. I went through many tripods before ending up with the EQ6 2" stainless steel one, very rigid. I use a Gitzo for portable/travel use abroad, excellent but still not quite as stable as the EQ6.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This scope looks very nicely attached to the mount (also a/your WR, I presume?). Can you tell me what specific parts are used between WR and scope for the attachment? What size/weight counterweights do you use here? Does the WR just drop straight onto a EQ6 tripod (or its extension pillar), or is an adapter necessary?

11 hours ago, Gavster said:

I also adjust and let drift. For the porta 2 I replaced the small fixed slo-mo controls with longer flexible controls which are much easier to use imo. I bought the official vixen ones which cost about £35 for the pair

This is what I did, the 300mm flexible handles are much more conveniently accessible and dampen down any vibration in an instance. I find them to be especially useful for when lunar observing.

11 hours ago, iPeace said:

This scope looks very nicely attached to the mount (also a/your WR, I presume?). Can you tell me what specific parts are used between WR and scope for the attachment? What size/weight counterweights do you use here? Does the WR just drop straight onto a EQ6 tripod (or its extension pillar), or is an adapter necessary?

The Giro-WR does just fit onto the EQ6, no adaptor needed, although you will probably need a length of threaded rod and some wing nuts as the standard one is s a different size.

The main problem is that the Giro is small and short, sweetpea the scopes are too close to the wide top of the tripod. The Mini Ercole may solve this, the full sized Ercole definitely would.

I solved it with a piece of 70mm OD Aluminium tube, 6mm think I think, cut to around 300mm and this gives a very nice, lightweight extension avoiding any tripod clashes.

So you're the scoundrel who bagged that TV85, eh? And you want help from the rest of us? The cheek of it. Cor, some people!!! :icon_salut: Hehheh.

No, great choice of scope, a lovely 'last forever' instrument with great views, protabiltiy and a good compromise on aperture. I have a well and truly battered old Gibraltar and like the way it suits the scope, but they are far too expensive new. There's anther disadvantage, too, for me. We live in a high location and often want to look at wildlife below us. The Gib isn't very good at this. It can only point a little below the horizontal. Might be worth bearing in mind if you aim to use the scope terrestrially (for which it's excellent also.)

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

So you're the scoundrel who bagged that TV85, eh? And you want help from the rest of us? The cheek of it. Cor, some people!!! :icon_salut: Hehheh.

Desperate times call for desperate measures; I knew many of my contemporaries would despise me for it. I can only hope that future generations...etc. ^_^ Thanks, I very much appreciate how prized this scope is and am looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about :biggrin:

• Like 1