guide scope

Ok so looking at guide scopes, I mainly use my equinox ed80 but I also have a skywatcher 150 refractor. Is it possible to fit a guide scope to my ed 80? been looking on FLO and the only one I can see is this one skywatcher startravel 80, but would that be roughly the same size as the imaging scope? I have seen smaller ones but cant think where about 50mm, I would also need a foot?plate as the equinox I have hasnt got anything on there. any suggestions most welcome 

I guess you talking about finder guiders...  where a 500 mm finder is "adapted" to use as an electronic "finder" and guidescope...

There are a range of adaptors available  to adapt the more "popular" finders to take various "cameras"...

http://www.modernastronomy.com/product-category/accessories/finder-guider-adapters/

Peter...

18 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

This is an old ED80 without a finder shoe.

Peter

Just get an extra tube ring (or preferably 2! then use a small plate to join the rings), you can position the guidescope wherever it's convenient by rotating the rings around the main OTA. This provides a very solid mount for your guidescope.

ChrisH

The finder bracket you linked to in your other thread just doesn't look up to the job for me. Your mounting arrangement should be like Louise's, something absolutely rock solid. 

The tiniest amount of flex will ruin your guiding. 

the rings and the scope look a good idea its the dovetail bar thats the problem (ok i can get a shorter one but attaching it to the scope I would need another set of rings wouldnt I?  I just cant see where these would fit on an Equinox ed80, its short even when the dew shield is out plus the shoe on the bottom isnt in the middle its nott going to leave much room

33 minutes ago, brrttpaul said:

the rings and the scope look a good idea its the dovetail bar thats the problem (ok i can get a shorter one but attaching it to the scope I would need another set of rings wouldnt I?  I just cant see where these would fit on an Equinox ed80, its short even when the dew shield is out plus the shoe on the bottom isnt in the middle its nott going to leave much room

You would need to mount the scope with rings and remove the foot to use my method, yes.

Guys its doing my head in with these rings lol, the way I see it atm i would have the equinox 80 (with the foot removed, on that two tube rings with a dovetail attached top and bottom, on top of that then my guidescope attached to  the dovetail with two smaller rings?, So I would need to purchase two sets of rings and two sets of dovetails (along with the guidescope and guide cam.  Looking on the altair site there is a complete kit (camera,scope etc) not knowing anything about cameras etc is this a good kit? I also read that  I wont need to be as stable with it being such a short focal length so that,s a plus surely? I realise im probably playing on your nerves with 40,000 questions but just want to get it right, heres the link of the kit

http://www.altairastro.com/Altair-GPCAM-50mm-Guide-Scope-Camera-Kit.html

I was going to do that anyway plus a dovetail as I have a bigger scope also and if I wanted to put the guide cam /scope on that I could. What I did notice though with the dovetails and the tube rings , which ones supply the appropriate crews? do they come with the dovetails or the tube rings? also why does the one tube ring have a sort of adjustment ring (on top back ring) is that for the guide scope? (up down type of thing?)

2 hours ago, brrttpaul said:

I was going to do that anyway plus a dovetail as I have a bigger scope also and if I wanted to put the guide cam /scope on that I could. What I did notice though with the dovetails and the tube rings , which ones supply the appropriate crews? do they come with the dovetails or the tube rings? also why does the one tube ring have a sort of adjustment ring (on top back ring) is that for the guide scope? (up down type of thing?)

Hi

If your scope didn't come with cnc rings and a dovetail you'll have to buy them separately. The cnc rings on my TS Apo (above) have screw holes - M5, I think. Obviously, adding the aluminium bar as I did, necessitates sorting out some suitable screws. There is some advantage to using the rings with adjusters for the guide scope. They aren't essential but facilitate lining up the guide scope with the imaging scope so they are both pointing at the same spot. That way you can see your target in the PHD2 guiding image.

Louise

Archived