SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First try in my mini observatory

Neil W

Got out tonight and managed to try out my 'mini observatory' - well it's not really, it's a Keter Store It Out, where I am keeping my scope. It means I don't have to wait for it to cool down!

I used my 130 dobsonian, and got some great views of the moon, Orion and it's nebula (I think that's what it was - almost a cloud around the stars on his dagger). Also managed a sneaky peak at Jupiter....really pleased with the set up!

I move the scope just in front of the store, but leave it open, as this gives a slightly better view of the sky - but also gives me more room to move around the scope. I have tacked up some plastic wallets inside the store, and use these to put my planisphere, so I don't drop it on the floor. 

I polar aligned the scope so that two of the tripod legs butt up against the floor of the store, so that next time I don't have to align the scope, just put it back in the same position.

I'm pretty new to all this so it's very much a learning / sick it and see experience!

Archived