Tripod position

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The tripod might also have a peg on it for the azimuth bolts to push against. The location of this peg would dictate the orientation of the tripod.

Yea thanks I seen that on the eq8 . I think mine is different I have an electronics pier and then eq head . I'm going to put the level to the north , think that's best 

19 hours ago, Ken82 said:

I have a leg with the level on it perhaps that's the one , I guess it wouldn't matter if I can't find one marked N

That's probably your polar axis leg on the mount (although a spirit level is useless in finding North.........a small compass on the mount may help). IIRC (i dont use EQ mounts any more). When you setup the tripod with the mount on top and then the scope tube........the tripod leg that sits directly below the front of the scope and counterweights is the polar axis.

A cheap and easy way of making sure your scope always points north (after your initial alignment) is to make a mark on the surface that you observe from. It could be an indent in concrete,paint (that may wash away over time), or if you observe on a garden lawn.......3 small flagstones. 

Archived