Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing my first telescope

Hi guys. I know lots of threads like this exist but I wanted to ask a few questions before making my first purchase.

A bit of history - I have been hankering after a telescope for a while now, and my wife recently suggested that as I turn 40 in a month, I could get a telescope for my birthday with the family chipping in to pay towards it.

There are a few things that I need to get from it:

1. reasonably portable - wife wants us to be able to take it when we go camping with the kids so that they can get some enjoyment from it also (8 year old twins)

2. easy to setup and use - realistically if it takes me an hour to set it up each time it won't get that much use especially if it is going to be used with the kids.

3. Needs goto facilities so that the kids don't get bored waiting for me to try (and fail) to find anything worth looking at

4. would like to be able to do photography but this is lower priority than the above list.

I first started out looking at the likes of the Celestron nexstar 127slt but ruled it out due to the reviews I have read about the mount being so poor, and it taking time to settle down when focussing because of vibrations etc.

Next up I looked at the Nexstar 4, 5, and 6 se range, and kind of settled on the 6se as it has the better mount than the 4 and 5, plus it's got the bigger aperture, although it doesn't have a wedge on it as standard.

I have just confused things though when I came across the Skywatcher Skymax 127 EQ3 Pro Synscan Goto - it's around the same price as the Nexstar 5se but has an equatorial mount.

http://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-SKYMAX-127-EQ3-PRO-SynScan-GOTO-Maksutov-Cassegrain.html

Or for around the same price as the Nexstar 6se I could get a Skywatcher Explorer 150P-DS EQ5 Pro Goto - which would probably not fit the small and portable buckets but seems like the best scope of all of the above.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq-5-pro-goto.html

What I don't know is how easy the Skywatcher scopes would be to set up and use - the mount seems like it needs more work to set up as it has to be pointed north, aligned with the pole star, and then the goto setup doesn't seem like it would be as easy as the celestron 3 object alignment where you can point it at any 3 objects and it figures out what they are for you. I'm a little worried that I wouldn't end up using it as it would be too complex!

I'm also aware that I will need a 12v battery pack for whatever I get, and dew shield, and other eye pieces undoubtedly.

Can you please let me have your thoughts on what I should be purchasing?

thanks

John.

Your thoughts about the reflector on the EQ I think are correct. After battling with the Skywatcher 200 on an EQ5 mount for the past 8 months, my thoughts are that an EQ and Reflector are not good companions for visual observing. I think you will get a few comments suggesting to leave #4 out of the equation for now, as astrophotography can get expensive and has different requirements to visual.

I've seen a couple of people with one of these: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html same scope specs as you've pointed to above, just not on an EQ mount, and they seem pretty easy to set up. They seem to get really good reviews

One thing to consider is that I've read a lot of people saying that Mak-Cassigrains can take a while to cool down and reach optimum viewing temperature - this is due to the closed system, Newtonians don't take as long because they are open.

Wait until you have had a go with it before investing in other eyepieces. A dew shield can be made very cheaply from a camping mat and a bit of Velcro.

Are you sure you need a goto for the children? From what I have heard, children think it is very interesting to watch the moon and the planets. Those can easily be found without goto. Also the Orion nebula is easy to find. You save a lot of many by not choosing goto. On the other hand, without a goto you need to invest some time in learning to find objects.

From a children's perspective, I would think a refractor on a good AZ mount would be a good idea. That mount works easily, refractors are solid and don't need collimation. And they should fit into a car. Otherwise I can recommend the Maksutov 127mm for an adult as a nice and compact scope. I have one on an EQ3-2 mount which is suitable for the scope. Yes, it is suitable for moon and planets. But I have no experience with refractors and can't compare them. But the EQ mount is indeed a bit more complicated than an AZ mount, which is more child-friendly.

Thanks guys - I would prefer a goto scope for all of us really - I probably trivialised what I put in point 3 above - I'm sure the kids would love to just stare at the moon but it's something I where I want to get as much out of it as I can and go exploring for different things myself too. I guess this will be my toy that I will be wanting to include the kids with so as to try and capture some new interest from them!

The photography side of it is listed as a lower priority but it's something I will I am sure have a go at from time to time - mostly it will be visual observing, but I have a good variety of DSLR's and mirrorless cameras that I could use as I used to do a lot of photography anyway, so they will get hooked up for sure at some point.

I guess what I really want to understand is whether the EQ3 goto mount is a real faff to set up over choosing any 3 stars to align with from a Celestron 6se for example, and if it is a faff, is it worth it in the longer run?

thanks all.

An equatorial mount is not difficult to set up, but yes, it does take a little more time. It is, however, heavy and quite large - depending on the type of camping you do, this may not be an easy option. In addition to a telescope, you might also consider binoculars for camping, and if you have photographic accessories, you may already have a tripod suitable for mounting a x15 or x20 pair.

If you have the opportunity, try to see the telescopes you are considering in a store or at a local astronomy club. This can give you a much better idea of size, weight etc.

Here are a couple of links which may be useful:

http://www.sussex-astronomy-centre.co.uk/

http://www.westsussex.info/astronomy.shtml

Thanks. I do have some very good manfrotto photography tripods. Camping is with a large folding camper (think bottom half of a caravan with a tent on the top) so space isn't at a huge premium.

Will check out those URL's.

John.

You have set some really clear, and very sensible criteria, which is a great start! The Nextstar 6SE would be a great choice, ticking all the boxes. There are more compact options but 6" is a very useful aperture and will be very helpful as you start to hunt out fainter deep sky fuzzy (prepare to be a bit disappointed when you discover just how faint and fuzzy they are!).  Alt az provides much more comfortable viewing than equatorial which you, and especially your children, will appreciate.  If you want to dabble in imaging that this scope is an excellent starter for decent planetary imaging.  If you did get into deep sky imaging you might want another scope/mount but you should still hang onto the Nexstar for quick easy visual.

6SE out of your list would be my pick.

Depending on your imaging thoughts you may be happy without an equatorial mount. Every picture on this link has been created without an equatorial mount that includes using a wedge. Browse and see what all the different equipment that were used and consider does it fit with expectations.

Link here

Could consider using a dslr with lens to image with this would reduce the focal length and therefore increase the exposure time before star trails using that mount.

4 hours ago, JohnKW said:

Thanks guys - I would prefer a goto scope for all of us really - I probably trivialised what I put in point 3 above - I'm sure the kids would love to just stare at the moon but it's something I where I want to get as much out of it as I can and go exploring for different things myself too. I guess this will be my toy that I will be wanting to include the kids with so as to try and capture some new interest from them!

The photography side of it is listed as a lower priority but it's something I will I am sure have a go at from time to time - mostly it will be visual observing, but I have a good variety of DSLR's and mirrorless cameras that I could use as I used to do a lot of photography anyway, so they will get hooked up for sure at some point.

I guess what I really want to understand is whether the EQ3 goto mount is a real faff to set up over choosing any 3 stars to align with from a Celestron 6se for example, and if it is a faff, is it worth it in the longer run?

thanks all.

Aligning a Celestron is quite easy - mine is a Nexstar 127 Mak with GoTo - you can align with:

three bright objects - not identified;

Moon or a planet - very easy;

two-star - named objects;

one-star - not so accurate, but dead easy, and it sets you up with tracking - also gets you in the right region (esp. if the target is near the original star) after GoTo, then you can check where you are with the finderscope and a chart or Stellarium.

Doug.

PS: Yes, the 6SE would be a good choice.  I'm already looking to my next 'scope, and it will the 8SE!

PPS: There is another alignment method - auto two-star, where the 'scope chooses its own second object.  I've never bothered with this as the others are fine, and also, it might choose an object concealed by a house or a tree, then there's more faffing about!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a call from my wife saying my 6SE has been delivered. Now for the long wait as I'm not allowed to open it until my birthday on 17th lol.

I have also bought a few accessories and was wondering if there is anything I have missed that is a must have - I have bought:

Power Tank, Dew Shield, XCel 9mm EP, GSO Super Plossl 32mm EP, set of basic colour filters and moon filter.

As an extra accessory you could also invest in a (second hand) binoculars. If your children should be able to hold it, then maybe a 7x50 would be a good size. For yourself 10x50 is also an option. That is a nice addition to a telescope and many of us have a pair. I use it to view big star clusters that are too wide to see with my scope that has a very narrow view.

Archived