Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

1CM69

Saturn [2016.02.18]

Saturn - 12 subs (10x ISO400 1/15s & 2x ISO800 1/40s) run through PIPP for aligning & then stacking & wavelets done in RegStax 6.

Taken using my Olympus E-510 with an M42 Sunagor 400mm preset Telephoto f/6.3 lens & x2 TC attached. Effective aperture f/12.7.

Saturn was quite low in the sky, seeing was not optimal & the sunrise was starting to turn the sky blue.

Image is very small 200px square but I am very happy I can make out ring definition all thing considered.

Visual Magnitude: +0.5

Apparent Size: 16.2 arcsec - 99.8% illuminated

Distance: 10.248948AU - 1533.2 million km - 85.24 light min

24473026964_ccfd33f190_m.jpg

Saturn [2016.02.18]

by 1CM69, on Flickr

• Like 3

It is as U say, very low down at the moment . At least

U have got a pict of it .Well done.

Steve

Edited by Grotemobile

1 hour ago, Grotemobile said:

It is as U say, very low down at the moment . At least

U have got a pict of it .Well done.

Steve

58 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Quite surprised you caught that much with such a focal length and so few frames. Rings clearly visible

Thanks, actual image is only 35x25 pixels but yes amazingly it is there. Happy chappy ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Balage
      Hi guys,
      I am a newbie on this forum, this is my first topic here but I would like to show you my recent planetary imaging results. I started to catch the planets with a dedicated planetary camera last month but never thought that a small 4" Maksutov can show such small details. The equpment I used:
      SW 102/1300 Maksutov 2.25x Q-turret Barlow lens QHY5L-II color camera EQ-3 GOTO mount All the images were taken on differend countrysides in Hungary. I hope you will like it
      Also, please share your images taken with similar OTA, I'd like to learn some tricks from others as well  

Jupiter's 15 minutes of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, processed in AS!3, Registax and WinJUPOS (2020.08.21)

Saturn, 1 hours stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax (2020.09.05)

Mars, 3 hours of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax. (2020.08.22)

Mars again, 5 minutes stacked in AS!3, processed in Registax. You can see also Olympus Mons and Arsia Mons next to the terminator  (2020.09.05)

Finally, a result of a Hungarian star party where I learned how to use properly my equipment  This time I borrowed an ADC for Saturn.

• By Starbuddypal
      I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

• By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Just had the MOST amazing observing session of my life!!!
      I am staying / living in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the moment and am blessed with very dark skies.
      About an hour after sunset, appx 9.50pm, I saw comet NeoWise motoring - could literally see it moving as I watched - upwards in to the NW twilight and then watched (10x50 bins & Cassie)  it disappear  over the top of the mountain.............. completely, totally, surreal. I saw comet Hale Bopp in 1997 in London and whilst that was spectacular, what I saw tonight was just absolutely surreal. Most comets 'just' appear to hang in the sky, whereas I could actually see Neowise moving. From coming into view to disappearing over the NW horizon must have taken only 20 minutes or so. There were a lot of helicopters up over the mountain watching it.

Then, at about 10pm heading north was what I believe was the ISS. I've yet to check for sure but it was nearly as bright as Venus and moving slower than a satellite.
      Then I saw numerous DSOs, globualr clusters and nebulas. 
      Then turning to the SE I saw Jupiter and Saturn, Unlike the other evening when the image was very blurred (atmospheric turbulence?) tonight's images were clear and beautiful. Could clearly see Jupier's cloud belts and the 4 biggest moons. (108x  9mm + 1.5 Barlow)
      Saturn was the best I've ever seen him. Crystral clear ring definition and I am sure I saw one of his moon at about 7 O'clock to his position - maybe Titan? 
      I'm not an experienced astronomer (telescope wise) but I have followed this subject all my life. I don't know much but I do know that not many people will ever get to see what I did tonight all in the course of 2 hours. 
      I am very blessed and thrilled beyond belief!!!! Everything tonight viewed through my trusty 5'" Newtonian, Cassie 😍

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.