Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
wimvb

NGC 1499

During the few clear nights we've had lately, I've managed to get some time on the California Nebula.

I thought I couldn't catch this target with my unmodded DSLR, but last fall, when I was doing some wide field, I found out that my camera picked it up.

So, here's somewhat of a close up.

NGC 1499 down to Atik.

Imaged over 2 nights in January, a mixture of 3 & 4 minutes subs.

Mount: SW EQ3-2 Goto

Camera: Pentax K20D unmodded, with 135 mm f/3.5 lens @ ISO 1600, f/4

30 * 3 and 4 minutes exposures (unguided and dithered)

Processed in PI.

This is still a WIP, as I want to do star reduction and try to enhance the faint nebulosity that may just be visible in this image.

ngc1499_.png

• Like 4

Some more tweaking, and experimenting with star reduction.

I definitely need to revisit this target with a smaller FL. Still I'm quite pleased to get this much out of my budget setup.

ngc1499_redo.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gorann
      Friends,
      this is Ha data from the last few clear nights collected with my Canon 300 mm f/4 (ca 20 x 10 min ISO 1600) and 5" refractor (ca 16 x 20 min) sitting side by side, to which I added RGB data from the Canon lens collected in December (76 x 3 min). I also post the 5" refractor image as it is quite detailed. All with my trusted Canon 60D cameras (60Da on the refractor) on my EQ8. Further details can be found on my Astrobin.
      C & S most welcome of course!
      Cheers
      Göran

• By Xiga
      Hi guys
      With the weather here in the UK being so bad recently, and with work commitments and other boring life stuff going on  I haven't done much imaging lately, but I did finally manage to get out and grab some OIII data a couple of weeks ago to go with my old Ha data of NGC 1499 from back in September. The Ha data was from first light for the newly modded D5300 and Baader Ha filter.
      We have an outdoor sports facility only a couple of hundred yards from our house, and annoyingly the ridiculously bright floodlights don't turn off until after 10pm on weekdays, so even though there was no moon to contend with, I had no choice but to wait until the lights were off before I could start shooting the OIII. I thought about shooting more Ha while I waited, but in the end I decided to shoot some short subs without any filter, just to use for RGB stars. I stupidly didn't use my IDAS-D1 filter, and the scope ended up pointing almost directly at a streetlight for all the RGB subs. The result was a stack that had a simply insane gradient running through it, and which made gradient reduction on the stack impossible, as it was changing so much between subs. In the end I had to run gradient reduction on each individual RGB sub before stacking, and then run it again afterwards! Thankfully I only shot 20, so it wasn't too laborious. In the end I had something which, despite having a really ugly background, did at least have useable stars.
      As for the OIII, boy was the signal weak with this one. I'm used to dealing with weak OIII signals on the D5300a, but this one really took the biscuit! Thankfully J-P Metsavainio's tone-mappng technique allows one to get the sledgehammer out for such cases, so I was able to stretch it far enough to get something out of it (even if it doesn't yield any fine structural detail for the OIII).
      So this is 23 x 8 min Ha, and 9 x 20 min OIII subs. Calibrated with Flats and Bias, and dithered aggressively. The stars are made up of 20 x 90s subs. Everything shot at ISO 200.
      The usual gear was used, HEQ5 Pro Mount, SW 80ED (with FF/FR), guided with PHD2 and a Finder-Guider and Legacy QHY5. Captured with SGP, pre-processed in APP, and processed in PS.
      I have to say, I really like having the stars in a separate layer in PS. So much so, this is how I'm now going to process all my images from now on. It makes things so much easier being able to adjust whatever I want and not have to worry about constantly protecting the stars.
      I'm not actually finished processing this one, but I thought I'd post it up for now anyway, and update it later. I still haven't ran any noise reduction on it yet, so I need to do that next, but hopefully the final version will not look much different to this. I did have some fun playing with the colour on this one.
      I have noticed today though, that it looks quite different on my work Dell monitor compared to my cheap Korean one from home. I think it looks a bit duller today, but I'm just not sure! What do you guys think, does it need more or less of something in particular? All comments welcome, I'm always looking to learn!
      Cheers all!

• By gorann
      Just got a nice surprise!
      In the plate solving that is automatically done when images are uploaded to Astrobin, I just noticed that in one of my California Nebula images (from 21 Dec 2017), there was also something identified as IC2005. Looking it up it turns out to be a galaxy that is apparently bright enough to shine through the red nebulosity.
      So, here it is, lurking in the right end of the image (arrow). I also post a crop of the galaxy area (with IC2005 in the centre). I do not know anything about it - wonder if anyone does?
      The image was taken with my ES 127ED refractor (@ FL 752mm) and a Canon 60Da. 18 x 8 min (so 2.4 hours) at ISO1600. Processed in PS.

• By RJ901
      NGC 1528 at 150x

Spent just under 45 minutes at the eyepiece, so ran up against the issue of field rotation (really for first time in my limited sketching experience) and realized the importance of not only anchoring features to certain areas within the eyepiece, but also (and probably more importantly) using the relative locations between 3 and 4 stars at a time to make as accurate a sketch as possible.
    • By Paxo
      Not done any deep sky imaging for over 3 years.  A few changes in personal circumstances have meant a new lease of life back into the hobby.  So here's 80 minutes worth of 10 minute unguided Ha subs using an SX H36 camera through a Tak FSQ106 mounted on a Paramount MX+.  Taken on Friday evening when I had to be up early on Saturday to get the train down to London to attend Astrofest.  Calibrated the image with some flats, bias and darks taken on Sunday Morning.
      Minimal processing (trying to remember how to use Pixinsight) so stacked in DSS, some basic stretching in PS.  I'm happy I'm back in the saddle again.  I think I'll try and add some more data to this one before the winters out.

Thanks for looking
      Steve

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.