Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can be observed...

StarSapling

I am posting this for the benefit those who are thinking about getting into Solar observing. Such persons reading most of the posts, in this forum and others, regarding Solar observing, might come to the erroneous conclusion that they cannot get into Solar observing without spending a fortune on H-alpha equipment.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Below I have listed features that can be observed with a simple (inexpensive) white light filter and those requiring  an H-alpha setup:

White light:

Sunspots (in exquisite detail)

Granulation

Faculae (bright cloud-like structures) 

Solar Flares! (before anyone claims otherwise - simple historical fact:  the first solar flare was recorded in 1869, in white light, long before the advent of H-alpha filters - look it up)

Planetary transits

H-alpha:

Prominences/filaments (basically same feature, either viewed against disk or off the limb)

Plage (a feature seen in H-alpha that closely corresponds with the faculae seen in white light)

Much greater detail within Granulation

So that's basically the difference in what can be observed with the two types of filtering.  The real difference is price!  My advice to those thinking about getting into Solar observing - obtain a relatively inexpensive white light filter, and forget about H-alpha for the time being.  There is plenty to be observed in white light beside sunspots.  With plenty of white light experience, you will be better able to decide if you want to go to the considerable extra expense of H-alpha.

Even though the price of H-alpha has come down substantially in the last 20 years, I still feel that it is much more expensive than it needs to be - read price gouging.  Perhaps in another ten years, the price for what you get will be more reasonable and I will invest in it. 

We have exactly the same view on this. Pure and simple. Observing the Sun using a white light filter can be really amazing and session after session, there is always something to learn.

I also feel the cost of a new h-filter is still quite high despite their maxi-reduction in price in the last 10-20 years. If they were half the price, I would buy one tomorrow though! :) 

No argument, really, starsapling. Viewing the sun in white light is very interesting and you are right to list what can be observed but I'm not sure I'd agree with your take on posts about solar observing on SGL. I have found no evidence of 'elitism' about Ha observing at all.

In fact, there are many solar observers on the forum who observe only in white light; who post sketches of solar features, and who enthuse about their experience.

I, and many others, view in both white and Ha. I enjoy both. But Ha has me hooked. I see stuff in Ha that, by definition, I cannot see in white light.

Nevertheless, I commend your point to anyone thinking of solar viewing - just do it. And, of course, do it safely. The joy of watching the 'star in our back garden' is immense.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I haven't perceived any 'elitism' in StarSampling's post.

From my interpretation, he was just trying to encourage people to solar observation and make them realise that it is possible without necessarily spending much money. :)

Anyway, safety is crucial on these things, so whether white light or Ha, newcomers must know that a solar filter is required.

I like both - one doesn't necessarily win over the other. White light using astro solar film + continuum filter and binoviewers gives amazing sunspot views. HA so far has given great views of flares etc. Both amazing in their own rights

7 minutes ago, Piero said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I haven't perceived any 'elitism' in StarSampling's post.

From my interpretation, he was just trying to encourage people to solar observation and make them realise that it is possible without necessarily spending much money. :)

Anyway, safety is crucial on these things, so whether white light or Ha, newcomers must know that a solar filter is required.

Well maybe I misunderstood. But, first, I agree that encouraging safe solar observing is something to be commended. Which is what I wrote.

It's just that the OP suggested 'most of the posts in this forum' might lead folks to believe they had to spend a fortune on Ha equipment. I have not detected that in SGL posts regarding solar viewing. And, of course, there was no elitism in starsapling's post, nor did I suggest so.

Hope we're OK with that.

May the sun shine on us all. :icon_biggrin:

Whilst I agree with both white light and Ha being very enjoyable and indeed some very similar features can be observed. But in reality much greater detail is seen with Ha and the two options do not really compare. The best option is to have both, if its affordable, as you get the best of both worlds.

I must also confess I have never seen a prominence / flare whilst using a Herschel wedge or solar film, I bet this would look pretty amazing :laugh:

Good post, and a very valid point. White light solar can be quite mesmerizing in good conditions. Investing in a Herschel Wedge is also still quite affordable and does offer, in my opinion, a significant increase in the level of fine detail which can be seen in white light. A used 1.25" Lunt Wedge for example is very affordable.

Ha features tend to appear to be far more dynamic than white light. Although WL features also change, it is more subtle and so observing prominences and flares moving in relatively short time periods in Ha can be incredible.

I agree with Shaun, the best option is both, but it is definitely worth observing in White Light if that's what is within budget. Don't forget the Mercury transit coming up on May 9th which will be great to view in either WL or Ha.

Indeed. I have only observed the sun on 2 occasions and only with a Baader solar filter. The first time (early January with very low sun) I saw a almost white disk with 2 tiny black spots. The second time (half February with still a pretty low sun) I saw lots of interesting sun spots of different sizes.

I haven't seen any granulation, but maybe that has something to do with the sun still standing very low. I'm looking forward to solar observing in the summer with less atmosphere in between. I also hope to see a flare some time.

And I hope to see the Mercury transit in May.

Hi Linda,

the atmospheric interference is most probably restricting your viewing. especially when the sun is low in the sky, it makes very difficult to get a detailed view. But once the seeing condition is good, you will be rewarded with good details of the granular surface.

Flares will be very difficult to see in white light though. Yes, Mr Carrington has seen a flash in 1859... I think he was very, very lucky ? 

Fingers crossed for for good weather this year and yes, looking forward to the 9th may myself.

It's perfectly possible to see a white light flare, however it would need to be an X class flare and you would have to be observing at the time as they are relatively short lived. Hence the rarity, I wouldn't sit at the telescope all day in hope!  :icon_biggrin:

34 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

It's perfectly possible to see a white light flare, however it would need to be an X class flare and you would have to be observing at the time as they are relatively short lived. Hence the rarity, I wouldn't sit at the telescope all day in hope!  :icon_biggrin:

My thoughts exactly. I have seen many H-alpha flares, but no white-light. That doesn't mean white light isn't rewarding in its own right.

Whilst i love the images posted of the Sun in HA etc.......i am not quite ready to pull the trigger on a HA setup. It is a bit expensive, but not outside the realms of affordability. I have never detected an ounce of elitism from HA observers or even from the OP.

The solar film (cheap as chips) does work great. A Hershel wedge and solar filters does without doubt show more detail. Solar flare or proms in WL.........i'd LOVE to see that.......but doubt i ever will.

If and when i upgrade from Hershel wedge.........it will be to a Quark.

Archived