Skywatcher Infinity 76

Hi all,

I joined the forum just before christmas seeking advice. 

All the advice I was given was brilliant, and I want to extend my thanks once again.

Sadly, we had an issue with one of pets resulting in the money that would have been used for a scope being spent on vet bills.

Fast forward a few months, and after arranging for a local astronomy club to give a presentation to a Scout Beaver group I'm involved with, and my youngest showing a strong interest, I chanced a visit to Astroboot and found what looks to be a great little scope.

I picked up a Skywatcher Infinity 76 which was delivered next day. My kids love it and we cant wait for the skies to clear to test it out.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who offered advice & give you an update.

Thanks for the replies. I was very impressed when I took the infinity outside, giving better than expected results.

I'm not the best at DIY but there's been a couple of scopes on astroboot that are available which have caught my eye, but no purchased as I'd end up getting incompatible parts & the Mrs would be in my ear about 'wasting money'.

On 20/02/2016 at 19:58, happy-kat said:

Astroboot stock updates regularly and if you can do diy you coould pick up a reflector telescope and other bits you'd need and then build your own dobsonian mount for it.

Enjoy your infinity.

As a person is totally useless at DIY (I'm the bloke who always manages to hit his thumb with the hammer) ,I'd love it if some of the manufacturers could supply ready made Dobsonian mounts,at a reasonable price.

On 22/02/2016 at 18:15, aeajr said:

Is this the scope you purchased?  That is pretty cool looking.   Can you change the eyepiece?

Youtube

The eye piece has slots which go into the scope. You can use different eye pieces but you'd need to hold them in place.

These are nice little scopes, surprisingly capable so I think you will have fun.

One simple bit of DIY you can do if you want to use standard 1.25" eyepieces is to (carefully) slide out the black pegs which the supplied eyepieces slot into, and which provide the helical focusing.

This then gives you a 1.25" tube which you can put normal, higher quality eyepieces in. You need to focus just by pushing and pulling them but I found this worked ok, and the better quality was worth it.

Not something you need to do right now, but perhaps down the line when you've had some experience with it. 

3 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

Just ordered a couple of these from Astroboot for the kids, so looking forward to having a play with them!

1 piece of advice Mark, the card needs resticking opposite the eye piece on the other wall. I found this out after binning the card thinking it was just to protect the mirror in transit. 

Still works great though

Yeah, sounded like a fairly simple fix for me, so thought it was worth a shot at that price....should fit nicely on the kid's windowsills.....with healthy reminder about NOT looking at the sun! They are always asking to look through the scope and I nearly always have it hooked  up to loads of camera stuff, so be nice for them to have their own to play with....

Archived