SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2" Eyepiece

Afternoon..

A 12" dob, say 1500mm FL F4.9 with a 40mm EP will give an exit pupil of over 8mm, which might not best suit your needs (expectations) if your observing from a not entirely dark site, or if your pupil wont dilate that far..

How about something in the 26-30mm range with a 68 to 82deg Field.. would be better exit pupil and show a good deal of sky.

If you have ideas on budget that would help narrow some choices (for instance as a nice starter there's SH Nirvana 28mm in the classifieds as we speak.)

Happy Shopping

Ta

Fozzie

I too love to see the wide picture to which my first thoughts, before I read a bit more, were 41mm Panoptic. Now unless you have something like a 10-12inch SC scope with a focal length of lots of millimeters the the Exit Pupil will be way to big to see unless you happen to be an owl. You also start to see the secondary mirror once you get over an EP of about 8mm, by which time light is also being wasted, young folk can see an exit pupil of about 7mm. If you scope is like most of the 12 inch scopes on site I was say how about a 31mm Nagler, use mine all the time of a bit cheaper the Meade 30mm UWA from the Series 5000 range which I also once owned. The ExSc 30mm is the same as near as makes little difference. 

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

how old are DEANO, the older you are the smaller your eye pupils are, its an age thing. if you have the cash a 26mm nagler might be better choice, seen as the creme de la creme of eyepieces and again one for sale on this site.

ok im not a spring chicken pushing 55 so getting on a bit!!! Thanks for the advise

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

I too love to see the wide picture to which my first thoughts, before I read a bit more, were 41mm Panoptic. Now unless you have something like a 10-12inch SC scope with a focal length of lots of millimeters the the Exit Pupil will be way to big to see unless you happen to be an owl. You also start to see the secondary mirror once you get over an EP of about 8mm, by which time light is also being wasted, young folk can see an exit pupil of about 7mm. If you scope is like most of the 12 inch scopes on site I was say how about a 31mm Nagler, use mine all the time of a bit cheaper the Meade 30mm UWA from the Series 5000 range which I also once owned. The ExSc 30mm is the same as near as makes little difference. 

Hi 

its a 12" dob and the focal length is 1500, so already been told a 40mm would not be the way to go, 31 Nagler seems to be the people favorite !!! but looking at all suggestions.

Don't know how the maths works out but the 34mm Meade Series 5000 SWA would probably just about be your top limit, A very good eyepiece that I owned for a few years, of course the ExSc 34mm is the same elements. Also the 28mm Nirvana/ Williams Optic UWA and probably more brand names for the same will also do well and has a few site members with them.

Deano, a 31mm eyepiece will give you an exit pupil of 6.5mm. A 26mm eyepiece 5.5mm.

I am pushing 53 and I am currently selling my 30mm eyepiece as this gives me 6.4 and in my opinion its too much. Well its also the opinion of my optician who measured them last year at a tad over 6mm.

If you are buying an expensive eyepiece, the last thing you want is wasted light so my opinion is that a 31mm lump of glass is too much and thats why I suggested the 26mm eyepiece.

btw my largest eyepiece is now a 24mm.

There is a very reasonably priced ES 82° 30mm in the For Sale section at the moment.......

Others will vouch that they are great eyepieces. Worth a look if you have darkish sky.

I'm not allowed to recommend them for obvious reasons. ?

Paul

Archived