Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing - the weather forecast.

badnit12

Hi, having read many references to "seeing" I now realise that it's not just about clouds getting in the way, but more to do with atmospheric conditions (I think!)

As there is no mention of astronomy in the nightly weather forecast after the news, are there clues that we can look out for, such as high or low pressure etc.?

Thanks.

Andy

Hi Andy

'Seeing' is how steady the atmosphere is.

'Transparency' is how clear the sky is. 

You can have a lovely clear night where the atmosphere is very wobbly and so the seeing is bad. 

Conversely you can have a misty night where the transparency is poor but the air is steady. 

The best night are usually when the weather is coming in from the North and you can get clear and steady nights.

My missus thinks I'm crazy when I smile at the weather forecast saying we can expect and arctic blast :)

Cheers

Ian

On 17/02/2016 at 15:43, lunator said:

Hi Andy

'Seeing' is how steady the atmosphere is.

'Transparency' is how clear the sky is. 

You can have a lovely clear night where the atmosphere is very wobbly and so the seeing is bad. 

Conversely you can have a misty night where the transparency is poor but the air is steady. 

The best night are usually when the weather is coming in from the North and you can get clear and steady nights.

My missus thinks I'm crazy when I smile at the weather forecast saying we can expect and arctic blast :)

Cheers

Ian

apologies for having simplified it too much. of course, seeing and transparency are not the same. ideally both are present, and seeing is crucial for planetary, while the transparency, imho, is more important for the dso...please correct me if i am wrong.

Archived