telescope help

Hi all

i posted here a few weeks ago about getting a SkyWatcher Skyliner 250PX Flextube SynScan GoTo Dobsonian Telescope, unfortunately i dont have the room :(

now im looking at a Celestron NexStar 8 SE (XLT) ( i can find the space for this one) :) .

is this a good option to go for ?

i want to do veiwing of moon , plantes and some dso ?

i also live on the edge of a town so lp could be a problem .

thak for your help m

Terry

That's a good scope and one that you can use for some basic astrophotography as well. You will also need a dew shield and heater as they are dew magnets. I would suggest an Astrozap heated dew shield. You will probably want a Barlow at some point.

Peter

I had the 6SE and I currently use a 9.25 SCT.

The 6SE was a good scope for lunar and planetary and improved when I added the 0.63 focal reducer for DSO's. It is very easy to store. You will need to invest in a dew shield and possibly a heater as SCT's and Maks are dew magnets.

Yes indeed - dew-sheild and probably a heater with that, considering your typical weather. I'd hold off on a Barlow though. These scopes are very easy to use too high a magnification for practical purposes. Get accustomed to what the supplied eyepieces can do, and then decide what you'd like.

They are very nice telescopes!

Enjoy -

Dave

9 hours ago, Toxy22 said:

Hi

thanks for your answers :)

will hopfully have the telescope in the next few weeks and will see how it all woeks

Terry

Terry - I'm planning to upgrade to the 8SE as well.  I have been very pleased with the Celestron Nexstar 127 Mak.  As another poster said, an f/6.3 focal reducer will be handy - you'll get your mags to the 30/40/50 range, with a True Field of Vision of about 1.3 degrees.  (I've drawn up tables for all this data.)  And the extra aperture will be good for DSOs, although of course you get best results with really dark skies.

Doug.

On 18 February 2016 at 07:42, cloudsweeper said:

Terry - I'm planning to upgrade to the 8SE as well.  I have been very pleased with the Celestron Nexstar 127 Mak.  As another poster said, an f/6.3 focal reducer will be handy - you'll get your mags to the 30/40/50 range, with a True Field of Vision of about 1.3 degrees.  (I've drawn up tables for all this data.)  And the extra aperture will be good for DSOs, although of course you get best results with really dark skies.

Doug.

As mentioned these SCT scopes  are dew magnets, if you get a dew shield with separate dew heater strap they obviously need power, if that's all the power you need  get the halfords 4 in 1 battery 17ah at under £40 each I bought two of them for less than the price of one of the brand name astronomy ones . 

I am curious as to why you feel you do not have enough room for the 250 goto but are ok with an 8se. The dob has a standing footprint of less than 4 square foot and this will be very easy to set up and get going. The 8se will take much more setting up and breaking down unless you intend keeping it setup and carrying it outside in which case it will take up around 16 square foot of floor space.

On 25/02/2016 at 20:02, 2STAR said:

As mentioned these SCT scopes  are dew magnets, if you get a dew shield with separate dew heater strap they obviously need power, if that's all the power you need  get the halfords 4 in 1 battery 17ah at under £40 each I bought two of them for less than the price of one of the brand name astronomy ones . 

+1.    Halfords was (or still is) £39. I've used mine on an AVX with Starsense and Wifi adapter AND the LED light (with red theatre light gel over it) for HOURS, and recharge takes less than 1 hour. Just make sure you don't run it flat...recharge after every use is recommended, else the gel battery dies permanently.

I bought the Halford 4 in 1 today it was much better to use than the battery pack that came with my scope.  I am new to astronomy and have only had a few good night's for stargazing since getting my scope, but even I know how frustrating it is to have the batteries die in the middle of a session haha

I would stick with your first choice. If you have enough space to put a chair in the corner, then that's  enough space to site an 8 - 10 or 12" scope, with about 4 foot of clearance in height ( Flex-tube requires less height)  The scope is covered, fully set-up and ready to go.

On 18/02/2016 at 07:16, baggywrinkle said:

. You will need to invest in a dew shield and possibly a heater as SCT's and Maks are dew magnets.

As someone new to astronomy who just had their first really good night cut short by dew & ice forming on a 9.25 SCT I really would invest in something (I just received my Astrozap heated shield and controller)

Archived