Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS looking good

Stu

Got some views here now - I could tell the seeing was nice because even 318x (Pentax XW 5mm) gave good views (12" dob being used) but I've dropped back to 265x (Ethos 6mm) for more prolonged sharpness and contrast. Some of the best views this opposition I think :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Seeing looks good here in white cheese county... just picked out petavius A which is only 3.9miles wide on the old moon in a 4" frac...  

I love Petavius - such an interesting crater under the right illumination :icon_biggrin:

Just warming up after packing away, scope frosted up nicely! Best session I've had on Jupiter for a long time, really lovely, steady views. Long periods of very steady conditions with the odd snap to excellent where the detail was really nice.

The Tak really is very capable, my biggest issue is floaters at higher powers due to the smaller exit pupil but at around x150 it was very nice. The image held up very well even at over x200 but the contrast wasn't there so things like the temperate belts weren't so clear.

My experiment with the Star Adventurer was a success, it is a little wobbly when focusing, but very nice otherwise. Nice to just be able to concentrate on the views and not worry about nudging constantly. Might have to look at an AZEQ5 when funds allow.....

Good detail surrounding the GRS, two festoons coming down from the NEB which showed some detail too, temperate belts clear in the north and south, clearer for me in the south. Moons looking like discs too, varying in size.

Gavster, I wish I could get on with binoviewers. I do find them a bit of a faff, plus I just don't find them comfortable to use for some reason. I know they work very well for some though.

The mag can be hard to work out if you are using a Barlow. The multiplying factor increases with greater distance from the focal plane which is what you get when using bv's.

22 minutes ago, John said:

Got some views here now - I could tell the seeing was nice because even 318x (Pentax XW 5mm) gave good views (12" dob being used) but I've dropped back to 265x (Ethos 6mm) for more prolonged sharpness and contrast. Some of the best views this opposition I think :icon_biggrin:

Great stuff John. I agree, best views I've had this time around, not that I've had much chance given the weather!

15 minutes ago, John said:

I love Petavius - such an interesting crater under the right illumination :icon_biggrin:

It was the rimae that jumped out at me first, reminded me of Gassendi.. which is glorious to look at.. probably start a "what's your favourite lunar feature and why thread in the morning"

6 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Sounds great stu.. nights like this send you to bed happy and with a an invigorated smile too, especially after all those clouds!

Definitely my best Jupiter season to date, just seemed to fall right!

Definitely ?

I must admit I was struggling to pull my eye away from the eyepiece. It was quite mesmerizing and it's not often the weather, seeing conditions, GRS and time/motivation all align!!

I agree it's evenings like this that make this hobby really fun. After further viewing using my 1.7x gpc instead of my 1.25x I think i got my best views ever of Jupiter (admittedly I've only been looking for 3 years). Very steady and clear colours in the belts. Moons obviously disc like as well. I also found the viewing with two eyes very comfortable rather than squinting. I estimate around 150x magnification with the 1.7x gpc and Pentax 8.5xfs - that was enough magnification for me.

GRS just approaching the limb now. There seems to be a bright "cove" type feature on the N edge of the NEB a bit behind the GRS's latitude. Some nice plumes coming from the NEB into the EQ zone too.

Every now and then I move over to the Moon and then go back to Jupiter with my pupil a little smaller, which seems to make the details stand out a little better.

Just got in after binoviewing Jupiter with 120ED, 18mm BCO+2.6x GPC gave about 130x, seeing generally good, 6 bands visible most of the time, no floater at all. started from about GRS in the middle around 23:30.:smiley:

40 minutes ago, John said:

GRS just approaching the limb now. There seems to be a bright "cove" type feature on the N edge of the NEB a bit behind the GRS's latitude. Some nice plumes coming from the NEB into the EQ zone too.

Every now and then I move over to the Moon and then go back to Jupiter with my pupil a little smaller, which seems to make the details stand out a little better.

I think my "cove" feature is actually a white oval on the N side of the NEB. It appears in one or two recent images of the planet I've looked at.

I've bought the scope in now and I'm warming up. Great Jupiter session though - thanks for the "heads up" for tonight Stu :icon_biggrin:

I've been thinking about how fun yesterday evening was viewing Jupiter. It's given me real confidence that the optics in my setup are very good. At least when conditions aren't so good in the future I won't be concerned that it's the scope, eyepieces etc. So hopefully I can concentrate more on just observing rather than fiddling with things. I really like my Baader neodymium filter on Jupiter - for me it works much better than the televue planetary filter.

Finally, it's shown me that even on a full moon I can still have a great evening viewing (and in London as well!)

Thanks for everyone's very helpful and interesting comments on this thread.

Gavin

I knew it was going to be a bright Moon last night but I thought that Jupiter would be a good test for my new 12" Revelation Dob. I started with 'Io' coming back into view at 8.28pm and then waited for the GRS.

I used my Explore Scientific EPs (8.8mm, 6.7mm and 4.7mm) with the 6.7mm (227X) giving the sharpest and best contrast view. I fitted a Baader Neodymium filter which did improve contrast. I got the best view of the GRS I have ever had together with other surface detail.

For an experiment I tried a Yellow, Green and Blue filter but not a lot of difference. However, for fun I put on a No 47 (Violet) filter - not ideal but it make the GRS almost black.

16 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I knew it was going to be a bright Moon last night but I thought that Jupiter would be a good test for my new 12" Revelation Dob. I started with 'Io' coming back into view at 8.28pm and then waited for the GRS.L

Sorry to go off topic. Have you done a first light review of your new dob. Interested how they compare to Skywatcher

8 hours ago, John said:

I think my "cove" feature is actually a white oval on the N side of the NEB. It appears in one or two recent images of the planet I've looked at.

I've bought the scope in now and I'm warming up. Great Jupiter session though - thanks for the "heads up" for tonight Stu :icon_biggrin:

This excellent image posted by oldfruit today shows the white oval feature on the N side of the NEB that I spotted last night:

There seems to be another pale patch on the opposite side of my "cove" as well.

Had a great view of the GRS transit last night at 10:35 with my Skywatcher 80ED.  At 75x with an 8mm eyepiece the GRS stood out like a sore thumb and yes I could tell the separation from the belt (something I had not expected)..  I've viewed Jupiter loads before but never caught the GRS so was happy :)  I was surprised how orange it looked really standing out.   Seeing was pretty good at that time and could see slight detail in the main 2 belts.  Perhaps the Moon actually helped being so close to Jupiter causing quite a bright view at the eyepiece.

Hoping to catch it again soon with my C8!

this thread has really got my viewing juices flowing, will have to see if i am up to it tonight although the grs doesnt transit until about 2 i think so that might be out. Really want to try and get a good view of the old girl in the new scope so here's hoping.

Archived