Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what to look at?

popeye85

12 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Local horizon is simply the term for your horizon at your latitude in Scotland. Stars that are below your local horizon are not visible.

Thanks-What's the best way to find this for my location?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just look around: the bit where the ground/buildings/trees, etc., meets the sky is your horizon. :icon_biggrin:

I hope that doesn't come across as being cheeky, but you may be thinking things are a lot more complicated than they are ...

Ahhh now that makes sense - yes it's asking for how high you want to look. So if your horizon (normally at 0o or level) is a bit misty or you have houses or trees in the way of your view of the horizon - then you will want to set your visible horizon higher (it defaults at 45o).

If you can see the horizon in the distance then set it to zero. If you're close up to a house or trees you may want to set it at 60o or more. Then the software will only show you objects within range of your telescope view. :)

Once you've downloaded and installed Stellarium - linked above by Astro Imp - you start out by giving it your location. It has many major cities listed to choose from. Or you can feed it your latitude & longitude. Stellarium will then know what your sky looks like, and will set your 'local-horizon' for you. Then you can begin telling it what objects you'd like to find: Stars, Nebulae, Galaxies, Constellations, Artificial Satellites (really - and accurately!), and many, many more things up and out there. Of course, the instructions might be of help. :p

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to there being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date, absolutely enough 'up-to-date' in all needed ways. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

Of course, feel free to take your time. The stars and all aren't going anywhere to soon. It's not a horse-race. What you find you like will come to you as you venture outwards with your eyes, a telescope, a pair of binoculars, whatever spirit moves you. Everyone finds their particular niche - subject to change with experience and even the seasons.

So enjoy yourself always feel free to ask any questions you may have. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Clear skies,

Dave

M31, or at least the core, is very bright. I detected it in my 10x50s from my back garden with the moon out! It wasn't spectacular, but it was visible. If you've not seen it yet (skimmed through this thread) I'd advise waiting until a point where the moon isn't around before trying to find it... Although M31 is fast leaving optimum positioning. Best time to see it IMO was 1/2 months ago.

If you find M31 easily, try for M33 near by, it's more challenging to see & find but worth it :)

Maybe it's me, but I just don't get bored observing M42, Jupiter or the Moon. I suppose it depends where they are in the sky and at what time of course. A few nights ago I more or less just observed M42 for around three hours. This was with a binoviewer though, and I tried different magnifications and eyepiece types for variety. I don't know where the time went. After a while I couldn't feel my fingers though lol.

Archived