Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st night out no images.

Daniel-K

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

+1 for the B-mask! I would find it impossible to work without one.

After you've used artemis for a bit you will love it for its simplicity, it does exactly what it says on the tin with no fuss. But not to worry, at SGL XI there will be a shedload of people on hand to help.

Its unlikely you will ever need to use the subframe function with your camera since its readout speed is quite fast. I have to use it with the 383, otherwise I have to wait 3-4 seconds before the image is downloaded in 1x1 - so if i use the sub function it pretty much real-time.

i'll get one ordered ASAP. im a person who just needs a nudge in the right direction and i pick stuff up quite easy normally 

6 hours ago, Scott said:

@Daniel-K.......Buy a bahtinov mask. they work really well for focusing in artemis :).

Thurday night looks ok but a massive moon. still be ok for working through a few things

WORK :crybaby2:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually make sure my finder is aligned with the imaging scope and set Artemis looping on 1 sec exposures then centre a bright star near to my intended target it should then be on the imaging screen, may need a tweak to centre it on the imaging screen, and sync on it.

Then GOTO target and it should be on the chip.

Dave

My way to align a object and have it centered on the CCD sensor it simple, have a guide scope that's aligned with the main CCD Sensor, so you see the object on the PHD screen get it in the middle and i know its in the middle of the CCD Sensor so no wasted test images ect...

one of these helps a lot...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guider-mounting/adm-mini-max-guider-guidescope-saddle.html

8 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

My way to align a object and have it centered on the CCD sensor it simple, have a guide scope that's aligned with the main CCD Sensor, so you see the object on the PHD screen get it in the middle and i know its in the middle of the CCD Sensor so no wasted test images ect...

one of these helps a lot...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guider-mounting/adm-mini-max-guider-guidescope-saddle.html

i dont have tube rings its a fixed dovetail on the bottom of the RC6

1 hour ago, Tinker1947 said:

Time to get the wallet out again......:headbang:

:dontknow: its all gone lol ive just bought a B-mask and and astro zap dew shield. might have to wait till next month. need to spend a few hundred more on this rig. 

two good items to be going on with, use the moony nights for some set up and testing then you should be set for when it's out of the way.

I use a William optics reticule finder, too bright really but great for getting a star in the circle, this does appear on my Artemis screen so very fast to get going  

• 2 weeks later...

I remember all the fun:hmh: when I first started this hobby.....and my wallet was a lot fatter:hello:(FLO saw me coming). But the results begin to become worth it as most good quality astronomy kit will lasts a lifetime with care so you only need to buy it once:happy11:....keep at it as Olly said "one step at a time" as little steps all add up to a big journey which you can enjoy along the way. You have a great forum to help you.

5 hours ago, pyrasanth said:

I remember all the fun:hmh: when I first started this hobby.....and my wallet was a lot fatter:hello:(FLO saw me coming). But the results begin to become worth it as most good quality astronomy kit will lasts a lifetime with care so you only need to buy it once:happy11:....keep at it as Olly said "one step at a time" as little steps all add up to a big journey which you can enjoy along the way. You have a great forum to help you.

im no noob, ive had a break and come back to AP from visual. just forgot how annoying it can be

On 2/17/2016 at 17:38, Daniel-K said:

is there a technique to getting an object on the chip? 

Mines quite boring.  

1. select bright star on the same side of sky as target, get on screen with telrad and centre with armetis.

2. pick star nr target (usually on armetis screen) and centre.

3. select target, slew and its usually there about.

for stars I loop 0.5-1 sec exp

for target i loop 15sec at 4x4bin

Like I said, boring but works fine on a portable set-up. For my pier I usually miss step 1 or go straight to step 3 if I'm feeling lucky :)

Archived