Ticket to the Moon

John

16 minutes ago, Piero said:

Is it new? If so, congratulations! wish you very good seeing then! 

I fear that 4.7mm might feel alone without its 3.7mm partner.. :D 

Just tempting! 

It's new-to-me, lets put it that way :icon_biggrin:

So is the focuser, come to think of it.

5 minutes ago, rockystar said:

what make the focuser john? It looks very nice.

love the union jack decal, nice touch :)

It's a Moonlite CR2 focuser.

I thought the Union Jack apt because the scope is made in the UK. Well most of it anyway !

Still want one John even though i don't need it. Yesterday the wife lost her job so I had better behave myself where spending is concerned. One sort of helps the other as i used to have everything sent to her. There is no point having anything delivered to our house which has an address something like, behind the hot water pipes 3rd washroom along.

I have to say the Moonlite looks well on your scope, I have a couple of them though I think if I had known about the SIPS system at the time I would have put that on the Sumerian only for simplicity.

Alan

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

Still want one John even though i don't need it. Yesterday the wife lost her job so I had better behave myself where spending is concerned. One sort of helps the other as i used to have everything sent to her. There is no point having anything delivered to our house which has an address something like, behind the hot water pipes 3rd washroom along.

I have to say the Moonlite looks well on your scope, I have a couple of them though I think if I had known about the SIPS system at the time I would have put that on the Sumerian only for simplicity.

Alan

Sorry to hear about your wife's job Alan :embarrassed:

It's been interesting comparing the Ethos 4.7 with the Pentax XW 5. At the moment it's honors even and I'm stongly inclined to keep both !

Sometimes the 318x that the Pentax gives in my 12" dob has hit the spot over the 338x that the Ethos 4.7 gives and sometimes it's been the other way around. The Eskimo Nebula in particular looked really superb with the Ethos 4.7 a couple of nights back.

John,

If I went to those powers I would need to be sitting down, not sure the heart would take it. We have been clear the last few nights but the seeing has been dire. When the Moon was two days old, OK I know it is low down but I could bearly see a crater even at just over x100 it was so bad. The following night I was spliting Sirius even as it would appear height wise from England for the very first time. I sometimes wonder what is going on, a few weeks back it was minus 28.5 here, yesterday it was plus 24.

You can never have too many EPs at high magnification, the mm (or parts of a mm, John!) can make such a difference from one observing session to another.

I only managed 200x last night and that was waving in and out of clarity.

I can't say I minded though as it was the first time I've been out in ages.

Thankfully, the frost made the bog that is my back garden at the moment into concrete. :)

Jupiter was poop, but great to see him again.

Congratulations John! :D

Thanks Ben,

The seeing was a bit "all over the place" last night I agree. It had settled a bit for the transit of the GRS in the early hours and the views of Jupiter then were quite nice but still not the steadiest and 300x was certainly not feasible then.

On 16.02.2016 г. at 19:11, bingevader said:

You can never have too many EPs at high magnification, the mm (or parts of a mm, John!) can make such a difference from one observing session to another.

I only managed 200x last night and that was waving in and out of clarity.

I can't say I minded though as it was the first time I've been out in ages.

Thankfully, the frost made the bog that is my back garden at the moment into concrete. :)

Jupiter was poop, but great to see him again.

Congratulations John! :D

Ben I find your opener very true, I once had XW and Radian 5mm, 4.5mm Delos, 4mm Radian, 3.5mm Delos and 3mm Radian. Alos to compliment them I had the 6mm-3mm Nagler zoom an eyepiece I know John just never took to. The trouble was I found myself using the tuning ability of the zoom so many times I never really used some of the others so I sold some on. Kept the Delos'ssss and the 4mm Radian. I find if you don't pay too much attention to the massive field of view that Ethos offers, and I don't for planetary, the zoom and the other Delos range work just fine. Still want a 4.7mm though:icon_biggrin:.

Archived