SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 Synscan Polar alignment

cardconvict

It's very accurate if you conduct the process correctly.  30" error is quite achievable.  I do fine tune it with drift alignment if I am imaging with 15 minute subs but its usually very close anyway.  Its not absolutely necessary but I find a reticle eyepiece or the magnified live view on the Canon capture software EOS Utilities (which has crosshairs) helps a lot.

I presume you are talking about deep sky astrophotography.

You can do astrophotography with very rough and ready polar polar alignment, but you would have to keep your exposures short and be accepting of limited results. This also depends on the focal length of your kit; the longer the focal length, the quicker any tracking errors will become apprent.

the more accurate your polar alignment becomes, the longer you can push your subs before tracking errors appear. But even then periodic errors will interfer.

if you want to reliably get subs longer than 60-120 seconds, and you don't have a paramount, you'll need to guide.

James

Archived