Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 (second light with DSLR)

Aza

Hey there :D

I Had a bit more success on my second night out, but only managed to grab 5 shots due to clouds.

I also struggled to bring out the colour due to my CLS filter.

I feel more confident though on my next outing (if I can grab a lot more subs!)

A couple of questions though:

Will the colour be easier to pull out with a lot more subs?

Also will the colour be easier if I step up from 5 minute subs and attempt 10 minutes?

Cheers

33version2rm6.jpg

Personally I think that an excellent image as it is. More colour would not,I feel,add much to it. I did have a very quick play,just applying Auto Colour,Levels and Curves in Photoshop and really the only advantage I see is that this did show up what I think is IC4263 out there in left field. I'm sure there are other galaxies to be found in there.

I'm always astonished by the detail that DSLR cameras can produce!

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Thanks Steve. On this I went with ISO1600

On my next attempt I will stick with 5 minute subs then, but what about ISO? Leave at 1600 or go for 800?

Cheers CW. Brought that out nicely :D

The lower the ISO, the better the colour saturation - I don't like using anything above 800 ISO because of the noise generation. I'd try the 800 ISO and 5 minutes route and aim at more subs - you will get a smoother image that will allow more stretching and saturation control to release more colour.

Good re-work CW

Cheers for the info, I actually took 2 hours worth of shots on that night, shame only 5 were worth using. Fingers crossed for more than half hour of clear skies!

I am also going to go for M13 (when I get the chance!)

What would you recommend for exposure length and ISO for this target?

I am thinking about 30secs, but should I go longer?

Also if the exposure length is low, I guess I dont need 2 hours worth of data?

Thanks

Aza,

You can never have too much good data. As Blinky has said 60 seconds is probably a good start. I went recently for 90 seconds under virtually perfect seeing conditions but lowered the iso setting to 200. Get as many subs as you can, you can't have too much for the stacking process. Too long a sub just tends to burn out the core in my experience.

Steve..

Cheers guys, I will start off with 60 secs then. I suppose in time I will get the experience to know which ISO and exposure lengths will give best results.

Doesnt help when you only get an hour here and there each month! Really need to make the most of the clear sky when it comes :D

Cracking image you have there Aza for just 5 subs......

Its something i havent achieved yet, getting a decent image of a galaxy with my DSLR.....

As for exp time/ISO for imaging M13 and globs in general, try 25 secs at ISO 800.....And maybe 4 to 5 mins of subs in total.......You maybe pleasently surprised at the results......

Have a look at M3 i took 2 nights ago ........http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,27508.0.html

Anyways, lets hope we get some clear skies again soon.......

Mark

Thanks Mark

Yeah your M3 is very nice! Seems very good for the exposures :D

I just wish we had more clear nights, I have quite a few targets on my list, as well as needing the experience! But then that goes for all of us haha

Archived