Dipping into the "bowl", amongst other delights

John

Pretty good night here tonight for image steadiness but so so for faint DSO's. I had the 12" dob out again.

Having had a really excellent early evening session on the Moon concentrating on the Mare Nectaris and Mare Tranquillitatis areas, then the usual sightseeing around Orion, splitting Sirius, had a lovely view of the Eskimo Nebula with some nice definition of the layered structure of this object at 338x with the central star glowing in the middle of it all.

Split a few more doubles to demonstrate to myself that the seeing was steady. Both 32 and 52 Orionis were split pretty nicely with better component definition than I sometimes manage with this scope. Castor looked like a pair of car headlights on a pitch black night and Beta Monocerotis was a wonderful trio.

Despite the mediocre DSO conditions I got it into my head to have a little fun by trying to see each of the 9 NGC galaxies that the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas shows within the "bowl" of Ursa Major, that is the rhomboid shape defined by the stars Megrez, Phecda, Merak and Dubhe.

Well it took me around 90 minutes to get all 9 of them. In the order I found them:

NGC 3613, 3619, 3610, 3642, 3690, 3780, 3898, 3982 and 3998.

Of these, 3982 was the easiest to spot with 3998 not far from it in the same 1.3 degrees true field. 3642 was pretty faint tonight and 3780 very faint needing averted vision to detect with confidence.

In terms of visual magnitude this lot seem to range between 10.7 and 12 with the latter being around the limit of the conditions tonight.

A satisfying little challenge though, probably some new objects for me and a good way to wait for Jupiter to rise above the conifers, which it probably has done by now so I'd better go and look at it !

Nice one! Eskimo at 338x.. must have been impressive! 

Congratulations for catching all the 9 galaxies as indicated by ST inside the plough and good luck with Jupiter. Last week it was really beautiful!

Thanks Piero !

If I'd been prepared to step just a little outside the "bowl" I'd have been able to more than double the amount of galaxies I guess but I stuck to my little plan, on this occasion.

Nice report John, I must try the 9 in the bowl. Only had about 40 minutes clear tonight here which was not really enough time to do or see a get deal, did look at Castor though I always think it looks like the old catseyes that we used to have on the roads years ago, no such thing here people just drive down the middle of the road, though I use the word drive in it's loosest possible sense.

Sounds a fantastic night. My sessions always seem to be "play it by ear" or I should say "eye" but since I've moved on the flextube Goto I should really have a plan of sorts before I start - those 9 galaxies sound like the ideal way to start off my next session. Though the brightening Moon may make it quite a challenge!

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

Nice report John, I must try the 9 in the bowl.

Your going to see a lot more than nine mate. Dark skies and an 18" scope are going to bring out many more..........get ready for a real treat. :)

Nice report John. 

8 hours ago, Hitman77 said:

You have inspired me to go for the Eskimo nebula next time the opportunity presents itself. I have a 12" truss dob and look forward to trying my new TV Delos 4.4mm which would give me similar magnification at 333x

Andy

The Eskimo and a number of other planetary nebulae are well worth using high powers on if the seeing conditions are decent. I was using the Ethos SX 4.7mm for the observation reported here.

You Delos 4.5mm should do a great job.

Archived