SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR AstroPhoto - Cheat Sheet/Steps

timfuller

Morning all,

I am going to have my first go tonight at using DSLR (EOS 1000D) and thinking I need a printed step by step guide.

Just wondering if anyone has written such a thing before I start writing one ?

Thanks

Tim

PS - Currently using a Bresser NT203/100 on a manual MON2 mount.

1. Set quality to RAW

2. Set mode to 'M'

3. Set required shutter speed and iso.

3a. Turn mirror lock to on.

4. Make sure you have more than one charged battery.

4a Make sure you a large SD card inserted

5. Attach camera to scope.

5a. Focus (really important). point at a bright star, use live view, max it to 10 and focus, getting the star as small and sharp as possible. Better still, put a Bhatinov mask over aperture and focus, using live view, with greater precision.

6. Use remote release if you have one, if not use delayed 2 sec mode for shutter release.

7. Turn the backlit display off.

8. Go to your target.

9. Take a pic (30 sec, iso 6400 or higher), review and move scope to frame target, using live view so you can see where the stars move. Redo until you are happy.

10. Start imaging run...   

11. Have a pint/cup of tea, go inside and warm up!

Clear skies...and look forward to seeing your first images! Tim. 

Without some sort of tracking, you will be limited to exposures of 0.5sec or less at 1000mm focal length.

If the moon is your target, use live view and zoom in 5x or 10x and take your time to really nail the focus. There are different schools of thought about camera settings, I use a fairly high ISO (800) and a fast shutter speed 1/800 to try and 'freeze' the seeing and get a good single shot. Others will use lower ISO, longer exposures and take many images to stack and process.

The best guide for DSO imaging is http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Thanks Tim - That is exactly what I was after. My EOS1000d will only go up to ISO1600 so will have to do.

Tinker - Yes manual mount. So that for the advice. Tonight will most def be a testing session so I will work my way up.

I will prob start with the camera stand-alone on a tripod using the stock 18-55 lens.

If I am not too cold I will then try it on the scope and see how I get on.

Also trying to learn my way around APT as this seems like an excellent way to control but means more wires/power and less portability.

Thanks again... :-)

Iso is very high, I don't go above 1600 and usually use 800.

Mirror lock up isn't on all cameras.

Turn in camera noise surpression off.

Take darks, bias and flats as well.

Focus on object not too far from intended object assuming intended target not bright enough to see.

Edit: I forgot check the histogram.

Have fun.

4 hours ago, timfuller said:

Thanks Tim - That is exactly what I was after. My EOS1000d will only go up to ISO1600 so will have to do.

Tinker - Yes manual mount. So that for the advice. Tonight will most def be a testing session so I will work my way up.

I will prob start with the camera stand-alone on a tripod using the stock 18-55 lens.

If I am not too cold I will then try it on the scope and see how I get on.

Also trying to learn my way around APT as this seems like an excellent way to control but means more wires/power and less portability.

Thanks again... :-)

As HappyKat pointed out, after you have focused and framed your view (I turn the iso right up for this), don't forget to put the iso at the level you want for imaging (400-1600), otherwise it will be a very noisy party!

Tim. 

Archived